Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Laptop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Laptop Reply with quote

Guys,

Somehow we've ended up having no laptop or pc in the house, just various iPads and other Apple products.

This means I don't have anything with a USB port for connecting devices, like my Garmin 920XT, to allow updates.

I was thinking a MacBook Air but that means waiting a good few months until funds allow. Why a MacBook? Because I'm used to Apple products and the simple way they easily sync with each other.

It's a fair wedge, so any other recommendations for a decent enough laptop?? Mainly used for browsing, You Tube, updating devices. No gaming.

Could probably go to 400 just now.

Cheers
Ross
AndyS..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Asus from Sainsbury's. It was on discount and I used my Nectar points to discount it further and pretty much got it for nothing (it was about 230 before discounts). Considering I was replacing an Alienware Area 51 laptop that kept over heating I'm really happy with the Asus. I only do simple stuff on it, Office and internet things, but it hasn't played up at all. Pretty good really. I connect my Garmin (and phone and other bits) to it, it works fine. Windows 10 is pretty good, IMO.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tier1online.com/728-4290a11/refurbished-x220-laptop-i5-2520m-2-50ghz-8gb-grade-a-12-5-webcam
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of good options there.

The Sainsburys route is interesting, we've get discount as my son works there and we've got a Nectar card.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay - get a Mac mini.

I live in a hotel with shared internet connections so I am not too happy about all our devices being visible on the network and it's also not good trying to stream to an Apple TV when there are 50 others trying to do the same on the same hotel wifi network.

So I bought a second hand Mac mini, and use that to connect to the internet and hang an 802.11n router off the back of it which means a private 300Mb wifi network for streaming or iTunes library access and all the hotel sees is a single item connected. The hotel only permits three devices per apartment to connect at the same time.

It cost 150 and just sits there silently acting as a firewall. Once set up you don't even need a keyboard or monitor as you can control it directly by any other device on the network.

jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
It cost 150 and just sits there silently acting as a firewall. Once set up you don't even need a keyboard or monitor as you can control it directly by any other device on the network.

A raspberry pi would do the same for ~40 quid
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and a second hand wireless node with two antenna systems would do it as well, but try using a Raspberry Pi to run OSX or Windows programs.

I also happen to be cr*p at writing software and have a life Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:

I live in a hotel

Are you Alan Partridge?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

No, an apartment which is part of a hotel which has the advantages of both a home apartment (fill with your own stuff) and a hotel ( they clean it and we can use room service).

Its quite common here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: