Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
$1.5 million new race series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it. I liked the varied format and overall 3 day competition. I think that the formats do very much suit ITU athletes so they maybe could do one longer day or section to give the long course athletes a bit more of a chance. I am sure if they did a highlights package on that stage it would work as well as the TT did.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not seen it or the results yet...looking forward to catching up with it when i get home...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw bits, but tbh it was hard to be interested if you just dipped in and out, since each race doesn't mean that much unless you know the narrative of where everyone currently stands etc.

It's not quite like Twenty20, where you can tune in at any point, and the on-screen graphics will tell you what's happened already, what the current state is and therefore who needs to do what to win. The superleague tri seemed to be missing that simplicity.

Therefore I think there'd be work to be done for this to capture the casual viewer. Fair play for having a go though.

For sure, I think things like mixed relays are more compelling than this.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my take as well Philleus. Was really entertaining but was still overly complicated and the racing still went on for near 2hrs.

the course was good, short laps, and a big hill to try and split the pack but it didnt really work as the races were too short to make it worth while.

I liked the different orders, especially swim last which meant that the swimmers got a chance. The TT bike was good, but Id probably have prefered a true Triathlon TT over short distances as this was a bike TT followed by a triathlon not a triathlon race.

I liked the concept of the elimination, would work great in ITU event where we have sprints heats am and a final pm for example but it needed to have a bit more for this sort of event. maybe an elimination like track where you have last 2 out every swim/bike/run lap to force a sprint or maybe have similar to win / out where first across the line each lap get bonus seconds, like they did with the swim prime on day 1 although that may confuse things where the first across the line isnt the real winner.

Bottom line, good idea, needs refining and not so much variety in one event, maybe do it over the series so one week TT's another SBRSBR another elimination week etc. They need to adopt "KISS" principles
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

I liked the concept of the elimination, would work great in ITU event where we have sprints heats am and a final pm for example but it needed to have a bit more for this sort of event.

I'm sure there used to be a race like this... maybe it was a world cup or American cup event rather than a WTS one though.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought the different order of events was really interesting, also the elimination.

But too many things happening over too few days, very hard to follow the progress eg who paced themselves over the 3 days and got stronger etc.

It would really work if they incorporated some of these variations into the ITU series, to really shake it up and provide some different race dynamics across the series.

Oi knee, do one....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: