Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stupid question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Stupid question Reply with quote

I know that it is April fools day, but the Telegraph have just published about the specific terrorist threats by bombs in laptops etc on flights, i.e. How they do it, and on how there is credible threat re cyber issues and nuclear power stations. Before that there was the Economist and submarines. And a couple of decades ago the papers (daily mail or express Iirc) told of how you could get bomb recipies of the Internet by a very simple search.

My point is that compared with a couple of decades ago, there seems to be much more actual detail published nowadays and I will admit that I am a little baffled at why.

I mean do I really need to know that battery and DVD compartments are used, or that airport scanners are used by terrorists to test their work? Do I really need to know that our nuclear power stations are at great immediate cyber risk?

I have no doubts that they routinely are, but what really has to be gained by injecting such fear into society? I mean there is nothing you nor I can do about nuclear security, so why point out the imminent risks?

Assuming that it isn't a bad taste April fool, and assuming that the conspiracy theories aren't right about "feeding on fear etc" then seriously why?

I assume that our spooks are working hard to keep us safe. So what is to be gained by such fearmongering? A scam to generate funding?

Keeping people in fear just fractures, surely a better approach is to simply let the spooks spook, without the public being overly worried?

A bit baffled.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/01/airports-nuclear-power-stations-terror-alert-government-officials/
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart goes into overthinking mode....

Is it to justify and support President Trumps executive orders? Or to explain how insecure air travel is, given terrorists use airport equipment to test?

Are we looking for public support to ban nuclear power?
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Saturday
Get a life
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
Its Saturday
Get a life
been watching game of thrones with the wife, after my son deciding that I needed a lesson on how to boot it in his car. Sailed a ship and took over others on the Xbox and fantasised about....no lets not go there..

Had my fun for the day Wink
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter is coming
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know nothing.

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch some Adam Curtis or even some Michael Moore

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be Orwellian: perpetual war as a means of population control.

Not as crazy as it sounds.

My 15 minutes of fame
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
watch some Adam Curtis or even some Michael Moore
my wife and I don't really get comedy, Mrs Browns Boys is more our style. Now that is funny.

Look, while you used to hear this from beauty queens "world peace and all that" what really matters to me in life, really is....planetary evolution. I am a serious bloke.

Been married for a quarter of a century, lived with people who have suffered mental illness pretty much all my life, it takes its toll on you. Now I have to deal with the Cameron era crap that citizens advice have to sadly deal with daily, where people are being made homeless and going hungry (while a worst case scenario I could be there this time next year, thank you Cameron and co). My town never had a homeless problem now homeless people are very visible in the town.

Until twenty years ago I like most people just got on with life. Then one day I decided that life had to be better than this and (prayed to God for religious types, for non religious folk I positively decided for the second time in my life to dramatically improve my life, though this time to also make sense of it). I succeeded achieving things that many said are impossible. Nowadays I do genuinely look at our world from both a global perspective and also from a structural perspective of how the global issues are comprised, and on how this all affects ordinary folk us human beings. (Eg recently at Davos how China has essentially said that it is open to business as America retrenches).

My hobby, interest, fun if you like, what matters to me, really is the evolution of this planet.

Not saying that my wife and kids etc are unimportant, I just look at things from a much wider perspective nowadays. And while global issues, and how politicians decisions affects ordinary folk in their personal struggle through life, are to me being a serious chap important, in my own way I do have a lot of fun. One of the benefits of having a powerful imagination.

So I am a bit like the beauty queens of old, except that I am not smoking hot and I really do mean that issues such as world peace do matter to me. Though that won't happen until arms manufacturers find more profitable pursuits and the human urge for power over others is better controlled. I.e. No time soon.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes comedy gold Afghanistan, comedy gold...

from different perspectives, both documentary makers lead the viewer to reconsider aspects of politics of today and (in Moore's case) challenge the viewer to work out why society operates on fear, the benefits of this (Curtis) and why the public accepts this as normal (Curtis)...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If planetary evolution is the most important thing, surely we need to cull all the sick, lame and lazy?
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
If planetary evolution is the most important thing, surely we need to cull all the sick, lame and lazy?
far from it Tony, far from it.

Many reasons...one being that many are simply worn out or lost because of our excesses. Another is that we are the way we are for a reason, not everyone can be a superhuman althetic billionaire king. Ever noticed how the people generally considered to be wise and of enduring societal benefit through the ages, tend not to be those generally regarded as successful in their day? Being obese for example is common, think Buddha et all.

The desire to cull everyone who is less fortunate is actually a significant sign of darkness and de-evolution.

Much better to treasure our differences. Equally once you have answered the meaning of life (know yourself) you then realise that you must experience. And a sick, lame and lazy person can get as much experience than a rich, althletic king, albeit of different types.

But what the heck do I know, a failure by some measures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: