Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
European Holiday ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: European Holiday ideas Reply with quote

Morning all.

Looking for a summer break this year that isn't going to break the bank, but really would rather not end up in one of the usual cheapy destinations, so looking for a bit of inspiration.

Myself, my wife and my almost 2 year old in July (before school hols).

Neither of us have been to Greece before, so quite fancy that. But find it hard to strip away the tacky craph0les e.g. chavos, from the nicer bits. Any thoughts or suggestions? ideally a single flight (multi transfers are just going to be a pain with a toddler) from the Exeter, Bristol or maybe Cardiff.

We don't want to be stuck in some high rise resort type of place, but we are realistic in that our funds are not limitless this year!

Cheers
GB
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends what you are looking for...

some sea swimming, hill walking/running, history & culture, decent ish food, wine and sunshine then Kyrenia in northern Cyprus is reasonably cheap...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santorini in Greece is more of the luxury end than the high rise horrors you wish to avoid....With Prices to match.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much that sort of thing eJC, as long as the beaches are toddler friendly i.e. not just rocky coves.

Don't really fancy Santorini regardless of the prices to be honest, not sure why - seems a bit honeymoon/weddingy.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most of the other Greek islands (that are serviced by the budgets) are pretty built up.

However that's only in parts, there are always secluded quiet parts of the islands where the "brits" can be avoided. we even had a really nice holiday on Mallorca would you believe! once you find the where the "brits" are residing they are pretty easy to stay away from.

I haven't been to Northern Cyprus, but I would say southern Cyprus is exactly what you don't want. My father in law lives out there. So have been a few times.

On the odd occasion he has ventured north he reckons its very nice though and nothing like the south.

Currently Croatia seems to be the "in" place. lots of island hopping seems to be the order of the day, Looks very nice but possibly a bit crowded. I can't say I've been personally though. Maybe worth a look.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - that's the kind of info i was hoping for. For example, Mallorca is grotty in certain parts but the north (i think) is lovely. Same for Corfu, i think that has a grotty side and a nice side.

Did Croatia a few years ago, and it is truly gorgeous, loved it. As is Slovenia in case anyone else was looking for somewhere new, and lovely!

Ta!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Pretty much that sort of thing eJC, as long as the beaches are toddler friendly i.e. not just rocky coves.

Don't really fancy Santorini regardless of the prices to be honest, not sure why - seems a bit honeymoon/weddingy.

yep, lots of sandy beaches...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kyrenia+beaches&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiytqvRs43TAhWHKcAKHQ8QDcYQsAQIXQ&biw=1879&bih=891

that said, it looks more built up that when i was last there, but we rented a villa with pool so we also had some peace/privacy too...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Mallorca is grotty in certain parts but the north (i think) is lovely.

Well the north is pretty grotty in parts too Laughing Alcudia (of Ironman Fame) Is a high rise hell hole, couldn't get out fast enough, where as port de pollença (5miles away) was quite lovely.

There are nice parts dotted all over the island and crap holes too. Its cheap though (£<600 for two in a private apartment with semi private pool) But I think you are looking for something a bit more special than Mallorca.

TBH we were having the same issue this year. Finding somewhere nice that was cheapish but not too touristy...we ended up Booking Florida so probably not much help Laughing
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sardinia. We've done it for four years now, flights on fleasyjet to Olbia and we found a lovely apartment complex (Residence Villaggio Marineledda) with private beach. Its a 15min drive from the airport and Golfo Aranci and Porto Rotundo are really nice near there. The costa smerelda beaches are all good, restaurants are ... well its Italy!
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Sardinia. We've done it for four years now, flights on fleasyjet to Olbia and we found a lovely apartment complex (Residence Villaggio Marineledda) with private beach. Its a 15min drive from the airport and Golfo Aranci and Porto Rotundo are really nice near there. The costa smerelda beaches are all good, restaurants are ... well its Italy!

I might tap your brain sometime as we are planning to take our motorhome to Sardinia this Autumn. Going from the UK to Slovenia and then through Northern Italy to one of the ports (not decided yet) and over to Sardinia for a couple of weeks and then back to Italy and up through France (or straight to France if there's a ferry running - date will decide this)

as for Greece, there are loads of quiet islands - Ithaca, Symi, Lesbos for example - where you can avoid the crowds. the only concern is, with a 2 year old it will be baking hot in July so can you and they cope with this??
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:

I might tap your brain sometime as we are planning to take our motorhome to Sardinia this Autumn. Going from the UK to Slovenia and then through Northern Italy to one of the ports (not decided yet) and over to Sardinia for a couple of weeks and then back to Italy and up through France (or straight to France if there's a ferry running - date will decide this)

as for Greece, there are loads of quiet islands - Ithaca, Symi, Lesbos for example - where you can avoid the crowds. the only concern is, with a 2 year old it will be baking hot in July so can you and they cope with this??

no problem. We love it there. so much good food, cheap wine and stunning beaches.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point FB - hadn't really thought about the temps (haven't ever needed to!)

and cheers for the tip Hammerer. Always fancied Corsica/Sardinia/Sicily but always thought they were quite pricey. Will look up sleazyjet and see what i can find!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: