Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TriTalk Future
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: TriTalk Future Reply with quote

Hi all,

TriTalk is going to be 14 years old in a few weeks Shocked and it's showing its age. There is some really good forum software out there (this is not it) and there are a multitude of issues with the current implementation.

My thinking is I create a permanent archive of TriTalk e.g. archived.tritalk.co.uk (I'd never delete anything) but essentially closing this version of the site down. Then I guess if there is interest a new version of the forum could be setup (and maintained by someone else) and tritalk.co.uk is pointed to it.

I would hand over the domain but there are logistical issues with that (mainly concerning email addresses) and I'd rather either point the domain tritalk.co.uk to a different host or simply redirect it to another site (so that whomever is hosting can have control over the domain if they so desire).

I really don't think it's feasible to maintain this current version indefinitely and there is less than no chance of upgrading whilst maintaining consistency (perhaps a members list and post numbers could be exported).

Anyway what does everyone think is the best way forward?
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention thanks to everyone who has managed to keep the site in order and running for this long! Very Happy
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the boss, so whatever works best for you, is my feeling.

Any examples of forums using the proposed new software?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sell" it to someone who might care? (e.g. vertical scope can keep it nice and Canadian...)
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.discourse.org/ is a nice forum but there are literally hundreds of better options than the current software.

I'm not looking to sell, merely want to archive the site to ensure nothing is ever lost and if someone wants to take on starting up a new version of the forum that there can be something of a seamless transition.
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whatever happens, don't let the site die. Yes it's declined significantly but apart from the fact there is a huge archive of information (covered by your archiving plan) it's still a good hub for those of us still caring to discuss stuff.

I'm a Luddite so had no idea there were better forum options out there (I still don't really 'get' this social media nonsense that 12yr olds seem to live on) and thought this style worked really well, but that's just my (old) sixpence worth.

Hopefully one of the more tech savvy guys on here can come up with a good compromise. I believe there are still enough of us around with the will to ensure a transition to another platform is a success and give it a little momentum to continue forward and hopefully attract the next generation.

My 15 minutes of fame
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for anything that breathes a bit of life back into the forum.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software on the timetriallingforum looks quite good, not sure if\where it is hosted etc.

Jeff
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only just started contributing to the forum, I'd be gutted to see it go.

There's very few UK centric triathlon forums out there. Runners World has a section, however, the constant adverts are brutal. 220 Triathlon has very little activity.

From the US, Slowtwitch I find a good read.

I'm not tech savvy so that rules me out of running a forum, fingers crossed someone keeps it going.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of it being quiet, utter tosh! There's at least 30 posts on since yesterday from eighteen1 Rolling Eyes
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
"Sell" it to someone who might care? (e.g. vertical scope can keep it nice and Canadian...)

whatever you do, don't sell it to VS. 2 years ago they bought out another forum I have been a long standing member of, and the place has gone from bad to worse with technical issues, people not being able to log in, messaging not functioning etc and ads appearing all over the place (it's what keeps VS going).
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
All this talk of it being quiet, utter tosh! There's at least 30 posts on since yesterday from eighteen1 Rolling Eyes

I've killed him dead. unfortunately Im not available 24hours a day Wink

TT PM me and we should chat about options. Anyone else want to jump in can. Mr JOrgan was keen to help. I'm just not sure i have the time to build a new site at present though. It took 4 months for me to put basic stuff together for my club site a few years back.

I would say it would be good to keep TriTalk though. That's the "brand" so would be a shame to have to change that unless there are Tritalk.net or another we could use.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes a successful forum? I find like our Tri club facebook page, however, I am not a huge fan of other triathlon specific facebook pages, even though I am a member of one and contribute a little.

On the whole content on forums is better than content on social media. Social media also has an issue with time horizons - a the vast majority of posts on facebook are lost in just a few days, on a forum, a popular thread can last years

Unfortunately I feel that many people have moved away from forums and use facebook groups. Why is this happening? I suspect partly due to convenience, most people use social media on their phone, for a forum to prosper, it probably needs a phone app. Would links to Strava or Garmin connect be valuable? personally I do not share my Strava workouts with my facebook account as many of the people I am connected to are not triathletes and are therefore not interested, however, I would happily share workouts with other forum members.

How about links from Forums to people's blogs and vlogs. Another idea may be to explore ways to integrate clubs into the forum

I really like Tritalk, there are some great contributors and some really good advice, so it would be a shame to see it disappear. However, I do agree that it is time for a refresh, and really hope that someone takes it on
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy to stay involved in some way or other.... how much of the other functionality do other people use / get value from ?.... events ? blogs? classified ?
I expect the forum gets the most traffic as the rest were extras.

Some more recent sites I've joined (beer related) have very active (moderated) fb groups & moderately active forums .... with useful discussions being summarised/archived in a wiki type structure.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, happy to be involved, although don't have the IT savvy of someone like Hammerer. Now, talking of Mobile apps for forums, what's this 'Tapatalk' app that I often see offered-up when I visited other forums on a phone?

Whatever happens, I simply cannot lose my post total Laughing

Last edited by Jorgan on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: