Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How on earth...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Used to work at a state school, quite deprived area, that would suspend pupils getting a 1 even if just at lower back and sides. Crazy priorities.

Yep, when you live on the left pole, everything appears to be right

I'm not sure what this has to do with politics? I think you've been accused of political tourettes before Smile

have i? i think you are confusing me with a victim...

it shouldn't, but it still does...

today children, we are going to teach you why we fear people with no hair....no hair = skinhead = thug = right wing fascist

I think that's more indicative of your life experiences (and those of a few headteachers) than those of the youth of today. What we have is people hung-up on interpreting things through their respective blinkers. You're grasping the right pole (how tightly I do not know), slinging mud at the people you perceive to be clinging-on to the left one.

Listening to the press & social media, I'm as bored of the intellectual-left snobbery, as I am of the bullishness of the right.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Used to work at a state school, quite deprived area, that would suspend pupils getting a 1 even if just at lower back and sides. Crazy priorities.

Yep, when you live on the left pole, everything appears to be right

I'm not sure what this has to do with politics? I think you've been accused of political tourettes before Smile

have i? i think you are confusing me with a victim...

it shouldn't, but it still does...

today children, we are going to teach you why we fear people with no hair....no hair = skinhead = thug = right wing fascist

I think that's more indicative of your life experiences (and those of a few headteachers) than those of the youth of today. What we have is people hung-up on interpreting things through their respective blinkers. You're grasping the right pole (how tightly I do not know), slinging mud at the people you perceive to be clinging-on to the left one.

As a general point, I'm as bored of the intellectual-left snobbery, as I am of the bullishness of the right.

on the first point, of course it is, and today's children are being judged by the experiences of head teachers, no matter how ill judged or refined they may be....i think you have to look pretty hard to find genuine right wing fascism today, it still exists for sure, but not at the levels it would appear people would like it to. It certainly should still be called where it is genuinely found.

I am also not sure how I am slinging mud? A child has been segregated at school for a haircut. Now, we know the reason, it is apparently against school rules. So, I invite you to consider reasons why such a rule is in place and how these rules may have originated, hence opening up the debate.

It would not have been beyond the wit of man to have over ruled this instance either in recognition of the rationale for the haircut (although I think that could be asking for similar problems further down the line) or in recognition that perhaps the rules belong to a former age.

A a general point, most of the educational system has been left leaning for many years and getting further left all the time. I don't have the actual numbers to hand, but 30- 40 years ago the left/right ratio of university sociology professors was 4:1, now it is 20:1

I think you may need to recalibrate your political sensors and look outside. I am just as tired of the bullishness of the left as I was of the right in the 70s and 80s. The closure of debate is worrying, and the lack of debating skill, although in part perhaps associated with changes in family norms, is mostly to do with the educational system and the lack of exposure to differing ideas.

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closure of debate is indeed worrying at a global level, not just re kids haircuts and school rules!

There is however an associated problem, evidenced everywhere! That of people's views polarising due I think "to having had enough" (of whatever is relevant in the circumstance). This combined with people evolving in a way that enables questioning, (1) places people in powers backs up when they are used to obedience, and (2) creates a dynamic energy for change, as evidenced globally. Equally however one common solution is to shut down debate in an attempt to retain control, which I think inevitably will just stoke up more disruptive energy in individuals.

The solution is for everybody in any position of leadership to open up debate, to listen, reflect, and encourage thought as this will both dissipate said energy and enable better decision making and maintanance of power structures. However fear of losing Control and loss of power is more likely to result in stifling debate, providing short term benefits at long term costs.

So you see, the trials and tribulations of school hair cuts offer direct lessons for leadership throughout society!
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That haircut ban definitely seems like a throwback to a bygone age. When I was at school in the 80s, guys with skinhead haircuts tended to either be yobs that you steered clear of or young squaddies (we were very close to Catterick Garrison...), who you also tended to steer clear of Rolling Eyes

I don't think there was ever any explicit rule against skinhead haircuts at my school though and the deputy head usually had a shaved head. He had a great story about when he was minding his own business in the town centre and the police approached him and asked him if he'd be available to take part in an identity parade. There was no suggestion that he'd done anything wrong, but he obviously looked like he might have committed a crime Wink

In the current day, shaved heads are so common in every walk of life that I can't see why it would be singled out as an unacceptable haircut for a pupil to have. Maybe Cornwall is different Rolling Eyes
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel a lot with the oil industry and noticed years ago in my offshore days particularly that the only times I ever really had trouble at passport control/frontiers (Europe, mainly) was when I had a No.2 cut all over.

When my hair was a 'normal' length, I usually breezed through untroubled.

Go figure.

My 15 minutes of fame
kevb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just badly planned and the school a bit miffed they didn't have the chance to get some positive publicity. We had a kid who grew his hair for a year or more, then shaved it in a morning assembly on the last day of school. The school loved it; kids loved it, everyone a winner!

Why didn't the parents let the school know they were doing this; i'm sure they would have generated a load of publicity and agreed an arrangement. Bloody People!!!!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevb wrote:
Just badly planned and the school a bit miffed they didn't have the chance to get some positive publicity. We had a kid who grew his hair for a year or more, then shaved it in a morning assembly on the last day of school. The school loved it; kids loved it, everyone a winner!

Except the local barber
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
Jeez, if that hairstyle is extreme, I hope my work don't cotton on to what I've done to my man-garden.

Which photo do you mean - before or after?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: