Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2swim4life - Swim 24 miles in 24 hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curry

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinp....ink wrote:
Chris/Will - I'm not as strong a swimmer as you two, I'll have much less of a wait between miles.

After spending all of 2013 running, I fancy a different challenge for 2014 n swimblin could be it Smile

It would be more like a continuous 24hr swim for me.

Where's my 2015 diary...

2016: Enduroman Continuous Triple DNF (61:30 after 2x maras); JOGLE in 12 days

2017: The Oner (DNF); Deca UK ironman (10x1)
nakedninja

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You filthy swimming perverts are making me want to do this.

Without a wetsuit too. Sometimes this website is bad for my brain.
martinp....ink

Location: Running on the trails laughin at the tarmac munchers

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry wrote:
martinp....ink wrote:
Chris/Will - I'm not as strong a swimmer as you two, I'll have much less of a wait between miles.

After spending all of 2013 running, I fancy a different challenge for 2014 n swimblin could be it Smile

It would be more like a continuous 24hr swim for me.

Where's my 2015 diary...

Twisted Evil
LifeofRiley

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggieboy wrote:
aaronb1985 wrote:
chrise wrote:
I didn't realize it was every two years, shame.

It has got me thinking about organising one for next year though! We've got several Lido's that potentially could be venue's, I wouldn't want to tread on anyone's toes though as 2swim4life have done a great job with this event.

I wonder why they only decided to do it every two years?

If there's none next year from them there would be a void.

I'm sure Carl A, Mark P, You, me, repoman, grom, rob D? and more would enter to use as the simulation for enduroman

Just think, you could get your whole year's swim training done in one weekend

Actually, about 3.5 years' worth. Nonetheless, I am strangely tempted....?
twoddle

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea why you have to be 25 to be able to do this event?
hillwall

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twoddle wrote:
Any idea why you have to be 25 to be able to do this event?

Not sure I'm afraid. I can only guess it is something to do with the insurance company specifying it.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...this is back again in a few weeks. I did it as a solo and(for some reason) I am back in 2017

all for charity http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=2swim4life2017
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck!

Tried to organise this for university swim team last year but couldn't find a lifeguard willing to do the night shift. Doing it outside takes it to another level of crazy though!
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Best of luck!

Tried to organise this for university swim team last year but couldn't find a lifeguard willing to do the night shift. Doing it outside takes it to another level of crazy though!

Thanks. To be honest, I think I would find it harder in an indoor pool with the heat/chlorine etc.
hillwall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first 2swim4life was indoors and people really suffered with the chlorine. At least you wouldn't get cold in between.

It's a hard but satisfying event to complete. I did the OW version of this last year and it was brilliant swimming in a lake at night with all the other swimmers safety buoys lit by glow sticks.

Good luck completing the lido version again. It doesn't get easier the second time.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it through the full 24. A tough, but enjoyable event. Shared a lane with the guy who holds the record for the Manhatten Island Swim!!
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort, well done!
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathersage Lido in the Peak District do a similar event for the summer solstice (or thereabouts to fit in with the weekend) 24 June and it does appeal to me. It starts and finishes at 3:30am which I can think will make the last few hours tough. I did the 5k swimathon there this year and it is a great venue (lido's are scarce around here). I haven't done anything this extreme swimming so think it would be a great challenge. Towards the end do you get physically tired or does the breaks in-between give you enough rest ? Do you manage to get some half hour power naps ? Out of curiosity (last question) what did your training get up to and did you think that worked out ok ?
JD
Wales 2014
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD-ScarabTri wrote:
Hathersage Lido in the Peak District do a similar event for the summer solstice (or thereabouts to fit in with the weekend) 24 June and it does appeal to me. It starts and finishes at 3:30am which I can think will make the last few hours tough. I did the 5k swimathon there this year and it is a great venue (lido's are scarce around here). I haven't done anything this extreme swimming so think it would be a great challenge. Towards the end do you get physically tired or does the breaks in-between give you enough rest ? Do you manage to get some half hour power naps ? Out of curiosity (last question) what did your training get up to and did you think that worked out ok ?
JD

Start and finish at 3:30am, that sounds tough in itself
Physically I didn't get too tired, just a few aches and pains in areas I didn't expect
I didn't sleep at all. I just sat in a camping chair between each mile so as to be not too comfortable so getting up and back into the pool wasn't a bad option. I think if I slept I wouldn't get up again.
I'm lucky in that I have a strong swimming background. I didn't do any special training, two masters swim sessions a week alongside on-going IM training(bike commutes, run commutes, weights). I just had an easy week the week before.
If your not from a swimming background I'd recommend at least 4 sessions a week doing some longer sets; reps of 400's, 800's
The biggest thing for me is the mental challenge. You literally have to switch off for 24 hours and get into a routine. I didn't count lengths, my watch and buddy did that and I just checked about 15-20 minutes in. I ate normal food little and often; jam sandwiches, porridge, rice pudding, cakes, pizza, mars bars with lots of tea and hot chocolate.
Go for it, its a great challenge.
hillwall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Stuff on completing Sid.

Hah. Half hour nap in between. Not very likely. If you are a really quick swimmer this might happen but it is amazing how much time is taken up getting into the water, getting, eating, drinking, drying, trying to get warm etc. The lido version is easier in this respect in that you do the right distance and you can get in and start. My mile times in the lido were 24 -28 minutes. In the lake it was a whole different matter. The course was long so my miles were more like 32-36 minutes. And we had to get in the water a couple of minutes early each hour and do a mass start so my rest time became just 20 minutes.

But for both I had a couple of 10 minute sleeps which did help revive me a bit.

I actually think that 3:30 is not a bad time to start this, since you only have to do half the night in the closing stretch. It is the cold and quiet part of the night that is hard - if you have some of this at the beginning of the event then you don't have to do it again at the end if that makes sense.

In terms of training, I don't come from a club swimming background but have improved my swimming over the years and the first time I was doing plenty of endurance swimming (6+ swims a week). Second time, I was doing just 2 swims a week and did 100x100m a couple of times in the weeks leading up to the event.

It is definitely a mental challenge though since you get a lot of time in your head whilst swimming, but having a good support crew will make sure you finish. Only ever think about the mile you are doing - not the fact that you're tired, have swum 8 miles and have another 16 miles to swim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: