Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training plan - Complete Newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnOffDave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Training plan - Complete Newbie Reply with quote

In mid August I've got my first triathlon like event. It's a 400m swim, 10k handcycle and 2.5k wheelchair push. I can swim the distance (in the pool) and the other two distances aren't a problem but I suspect I'm nowhere near fast enough. I know I need to train to get better but not sure of the best way of going about it. I'm going to be hindered a bit as I'll be completing the push in my day chair rather than a 'proper' racing chair and the handcycle I've got access to is only very basic.

Any suggestions would be really welcome
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first question would be do you need to be faster or do you just want to be faster? Decide what your objectives are (complete the race, complete in under a specific time, target split times etc.) and train towards that.

My local gym has handcycle machines. If yours does that may be one way to train that section. I'm not sure about the specifics of training for wheelchair push but suspect that strength play a part and so some weight training may be beneficial (if it's specific to the exercise intended).
OnOffDave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to benchmark where I am now and go from there. I'm not worried about completing as I think I should manage that. I think i need to do more research and see what the times are for my age and impairment too

I'm thinking of the handcycle at the gym and working on arms and core.

Transitions will be fun but at least I don't have to worry about changing shoes. I'm going to work on those once I've got the basics sorted.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a separate note, when I've spectated at the London Marathon I did see people complete marathons in non-race chairs so you should be ok in a day chair (albeit not as fast) depending on the surface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: