Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Should I continue to ride with calf injury?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiesim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Should I continue to ride with calf injury? Reply with quote

Howdy!

I've got a calf problem from going balls out in a park run 1st time at that pace in over 18m. Feels like a strain (maybe tear) on outer side of the calf. I have stopped running and continuing to ride & swim. I can do all PB in pool No kick so that's fine. I'm riding 4xpw at an above 90% effort level for each distance I do. I have done this for 10 days and ran at the weekend and it's still not good. So do u think cycling Is delaying the recovery? Should I ditch it or back off?

Thanks
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the diagnosis and what have you done to enhance the recovery?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sim
I currently have a calf " issue " too.
Mine seams less severe and is intermittent.
Advice from the experts ( very knowledgeable sports massage friend and an osteopath ) is if it doesnt hurt during or severly after do it.

I can use my very weak leg kick with no problem, can go flat out on the bike and have just started to do circuits with very small amounts of jogging,20 secs or so, at a very slow pace

They have me doing calf raises on a step, so the foot goes as low and as high as you can get it for 20 reps, these seam to be helping.

Next week jog/ walk and see how we go, like you I was delighted with fast 5 k split but this issue seams to stem from running too quickly too often. I would guess several other calf strains came about in the same fashion.

Hope it heals, no doubt you have plans this year, but if it goes again, quite common , and you get stage 3 that could be surgery! So go steady.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to cycle when I had a calf injury caused by running (over training). One thing to consider, is that the calves are stabilising muscles during cycling, and the higher (or too high) you have your saddle, and thus more flexed your ankle is, the harder they work. So lowering the saddle a few mm may help, and the impact on your biomechanics will be limited - certainly compared to having it too high.
tiesim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

In all honesty, i havent seen anybody about it, just going on how it feels and from previous injuries, and i havent done anything to enhance the recovery other than no running from the sat i did it, to a 13miler the wed afterwards and then no running at all for 10 days, before running this sunday for the 1st time (which was after a 2.7m lake swim and 50m bike on the sat and a 33m ride sunday morning before having a crack at a local marathon and bailing at 15m as it was starting to flair up again). Since sunday i have had calf guards on and rested until today when i rode.
tiesim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Sim
I currently have a calf " issue " too.
Mine seams less severe and is intermittent.
Advice from the experts ( very knowledgeable sports massage friend and an osteopath ) is if it doesnt hurt during or severly after do it.

I can use my very weak leg kick with no problem, can go flat out on the bike and have just started to do circuits with very small amounts of jogging,20 secs or so, at a very slow pace

They have me doing calf raises on a step, so the foot goes as low and as high as you can get it for 20 reps, these seam to be helping.

Next week jog/ walk and see how we go, like you I was delighted with fast 5 k split but this issue seams to stem from running too quickly too often. I would guess several other calf strains came about in the same fashion.

Hope it heals, no doubt you have plans this year, but if it goes again, quite common , and you get stage 3 that could be surgery! So go steady.

Cheers Mungo, right now it aches all the time its engaged (stretched or with weight on it) and im walking gingerly, i can ride and it not hurt any more than it does, but it doesnt not hurt if that makes sense.

Good luck with your recovery, pesky park runs, i may burn my barcodes so this doesnt happen again, no barcode no result !!
tiesim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I was able to cycle when I had a calf injury caused by running (over training). One thing to consider, is that the calves are stabilising muscles during cycling, and the higher (or too high) you have your saddle, and thus more flexed your ankle is, the harder they work. So lowering the saddle a few mm may help, and the impact on your biomechanics will be limited - certainly compared to having it too high.

Thank you jorgan, much appreciated tip.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiesim wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

In all honesty, i havent seen anybody about it, just going on how it feels and from previous injuries, and i havent done anything to enhance the recovery other than no running from the sat i did it, to a 13miler the wed afterwards and then no running at all for 10 days, before running this sunday for the 1st time (which was after a 2.7m lake swim and 50m bike on the sat and a 33m ride sunday morning before having a crack at a local marathon and bailing at 15m as it was starting to flair up again). Since sunday i have had calf guards on and rested until today when i rode.

obviously, from running injury to 13 miler 4 days later may not be the best possible practice...

rather than potentially make it worse, get it checked out...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie
Mine is slowly getting better, but 100% if I tried to run a fast 5k it would go.
First job is the underlying problem.
Overuse...usually too many fast runs
Trainers
Tight hamstrings
Blood supply to quad
L4 L5 impingement
Strain
Achilles isssue. There are lots of possibles.

If your walking is affected I wouldnt bike flat out, and try not to stand on the pedals.
Jorgans comment on saddle height is worth looking at.

It will mend just make sure it mends long term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: