Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Which upgrade? Frame or wheels?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timrd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Which upgrade? Frame or wheels? Reply with quote

Getting back into the tri game after quite a number of years out. At present, I am riding a low range Trek roadie, but am thinking of upgrading over the Summer. Due to limited cash supplies because of other commitments (buying and renovating a house), I have 2 options:

1. Buying new low range triathlon bike, which will invariably come with pretty naff wheels.

2. Staying with my roadie, which I have been pretty happy riding, but sticking on some road specific clip-on tri bars, and going for a carbon wheel upgrade.

I am working towards probably HIM distance racing in December/Jan (Middle East).

Thoughts please...

Thanks in advance
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 'difficult' one, in that neither a frame nor a wheel upgrade will make a huge difference aerodynamically. The biggest gains will come from you, not the bike i.e. your body position, your clothing & your helmet.

So firstly:
- buy aero bars
- get a bike fit if you're not confident in doing it yourself
- Buy a good aero road or TT helmet
- buy a good tight fitting tri suit.

Sorry, what was your question? Wink
Timrd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

I will definitely get some tri bars, and I think my tri suit is fitting pretty well. Although I think I have set my bike up to fit quite well, I think a trip to the bike shop nearish me will be in order, as they provide a service for this.

The aero effect of my helmet did not figure highly in my considerations, so will look into an upgrade here.
kevb

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're asking, 'Should I get a new bike?'....
on a triathlon forum Shocked Confused
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 23mm tyres, carbon bars and carbon seatpost first. These are very cheap now and the reduced weight and improved feel will make a lot of difference. Also try thicker or more comfy bar tape - don't ride in discomfort for the sake of fashion. If your bike is a smooth soft comfortable ride you will enjoy it more and train and ride harder than by purely making it lighter.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timrd wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

I will definitely get some tri bars, and I think my tri suit is fitting pretty well. Although I think I have set my bike up to fit quite well, I think a trip to the bike shop nearish me will be in order, as they provide a service for this.

The aero effect of my helmet did not figure highly in my considerations, so will look into an upgrade here.

My experiment with tri bars last year on a roadie wasn't satisfactory, if I had the time again I'd get a tri specific frame...which is what I did this year.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

My experiment with tri bars last year on a roadie wasn't satisfactory, if I had the time again I'd get a tri specific frame...which is what I did this year.

We're still waiting to see a picture of you on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: