Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman UK Bolton 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pulling out of IMUK Sad

Knee injury has cost me a month (so far), and whilst getting better slowly I still do not have the all clear to run.

I have transferred to the new IM Italy at the end of Sept; should be able to give this a good tickle if the knee clears up (I have assumed I'll be running by end May) - and will be able to build the run up slowly with a race that is 2 months later.

Least if they supply post race Pizza it should be better than the cardboard Dominos I've had at IM UK in the past...Wink

Also assuming I won't get rained on as much as my two trips round Bolton....Smile

Oi knee, do one....
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tro
Seams for the best. What is the course like?
Was it you who posted a really good TT time but came nowere recently? Those testers really are good these days.

At least the roads will be better , good luck with the running. Having running issues myself at the min... racing soon so hope that they clear.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I'm pulling out of IMUK Sad

Knee injury has cost me a month (so far), and whilst getting better slowly I still do not have the all clear to run.

I have transferred to the new IM Italy at the end of Sept; should be able to give this a good tickle if the knee clears up (I have assumed I'll be running by end May) - and will be able to build the run up slowly with a race that is 2 months later.

Least if they supply post race Pizza it should be better than the cardboard Dominos I've had at IM UK in the past...Wink

Also assuming I won't get rained on as much as my two trips round Bolton....Smile

That's a shame mate. Heal well and good luck for Italy.
crumpy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
crumpy wrote:

Hi Jeff. As well as a mental thing, did you find it beneficial to keeping your HR lower for longer? Also do you think, it enabled you to run slightly faster when you were running ?

Although I wasn't trying to keep to any HR zones it probably did help with that, first half was about 150-155BPM which is about normal for 4.50 minute K's.

Second half went down to about 145-150BPM, and was between 5-5.10k's I think.

I'd expect some slowing down but when I was running it was around the same pace.

I think it was as much that I paced it better overall and kept running late on, rather than lots of walking in the second half. It didn't feel as tough either, but I could have just been having a better day or been in better shape.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I am helping out a lad who will be doing Bolton for the second time. Our aim is take 1.5hrs off his previous finish time of 13hrs and I am considering if this technique will work well for him. Another question, IYO, is it helpful to practice the run / walk strategy in training or introduce it on race day?
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Tro
Seams for the best. What is the course like?
Was it you who posted a really good TT time but came nowere recently? Those testers really are good these days.

At least the roads will be better , good luck with the running. Having running issues myself at the min... racing soon so hope that they clear.

Yes 20:54 for 81st out of 117.

I'm biking well. Italy looks rolling, which will suit. Much less climbing than Bolton, but I fear another Euro draft fest like Barca last year. Hope I don't arse up the run like Barca....

Oi knee, do one....
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I am helping out a lad who will be doing Bolton for the second time. Our aim is take 1.5hrs off his previous finish time of 13hrs and I am considering if this technique will work well for him. Another question, IYO, is it helpful to practice the run / walk strategy in training or introduce it on race day?

I've got to say that I generally don't practice it, but I think the consensus is that you probably should.

Bolton has an undulating run and if the course is the same as it was 3 years ago there are a few steep climbs that I'd also consider walking rather than going too deep. One is right out of T2, then off the canal path around 10 miles. Then 3 times out of town on the lap, it starts steep that most will walk and eases after a few hundred metres.

Jeff
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect I'll be transferring from Bolton, have hardly trained now for 2 weeks after feeling grim\tired and there's no obvious sign of it ending soon. It's only 10 weeks on Sunday and although it isn't a priority I also don't want to make myself bad again.

I'll probably transfer to Wales if possible, a Euro race would be nice but I can't do most of the ones in August and I'm supposed to be going to Chicago for the marathon in October so I need to keep the costs down.

Jeff
Edz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the "rolling swim start" is based on estimated swim time or by age group?
SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edz wrote:
Does anyone know if the "rolling swim start" is based on estimated swim time or by age group?

Estimated swim time, and its self seeding
PCP

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about you both not racing Jeff & TRO. Hopefully you both heal and get more training in for the next one.

I'm out for 2 loops of the bike tomorrow and a run off so my biggest session of the year to date.
PCP

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parked on Babylon Lane and did 2 loops yesterday (93 miles). 1 mile warm up straight into SHL. Quite windy on the 1st loop, more so on the 2nd. Managed a 4 mile run off too so quite pleased.
By far my biggest session of the year.
funkster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to entering this morning Very Happy
Murph333

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get a long ride outdoors in yet, got busy the last two weeks and before that we still had snow.

I have been able to 3.5hrs on the turbo a few times so I am hoping that will help as much as a long outdoor ride.

ughh, this is going to be interesting this race.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked into the Premier Inn by the Macron Stadium from Friday, on me todd this time.

Figure I'll drive over to Pennington early doors Saturday, build the bike there and check it in. I think they had bike fitters there last year in case of emergencies.

I figure I'll be up for a beer around 9pm before getting the bus back to the Macron to get the bike.

Anyone taking a TriTalk flag into the Athletes Village? Wink
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Murph333

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question about the swim,

With the Aussie exit, is there a timing mat at the exit of the swim and start of the swim, and they don't count your "running" time into the swim?

Or does the clock not stop at all when running? and if it does not, is the running distance included in the entire 3.8km swim, or is 3.8km swim with .1-.2 of running?

Just wondering cause I hate/am awful at swimming and hope that it shortens the swim distance for me lol.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 6 of 18

Jump to: