Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Meredith Kessler medal distribution
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharrySteve1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Courageous?

I think there are better uses of the word

Yes you are right. I might have gone a bit overboard or got carried away lol. Thanks for brining it to my attention Smile Very Happy
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharrySteve1 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Courageous?

Yes you are right. I might have gone a bit overboard or got carried away lol. Thanks for brining it to my attention Smile Very Happy

By accepting it, the recipient, in my view, showed a complete lack of respect for those people who didn't fail

But I'm still not going to swim
SharrySteve1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veggieboy wrote:
SharrySteve1 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Courageous?

I think there are better use of the word

By accepting it, the recipient, in my view, showed a complete lack of respect for those people who didn't fail

I don't think using words like "courageous" is disrespect to those who didn't fail.....

It was an act of great kindness. The the word "kindness" qualifies as being acceptable. Courageous should not have been used.

Last edited by SharrySteve1 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 am; edited 2 times in total
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharrySteve1 wrote:
veggieboy wrote:
SharrySteve1 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Courageous?

I don't think using words like "courageous" is disrespect to those who didn't fail.....

It was an act of great kindness. The the word "kindness" qualifies as being acceptable. Courageous should not have been used.

why was it an act of great kindness? Shes a pro and it was just another finishers medal. shes probably got enough scrap metal hanging around and to be fair even I don't GAF about them. I'm all for t-shirts though, cant get enough bike cleaning rags. shame they've all gone technical these days and not the fruit of the loom ones anymore

welcome to TT Wink This is bash the newb day
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
Not sure I'd have gone down the carpet if I'd missed the cut-off, would have found a way of completing the distance by carrying on the previous non-finishline route instead.

That

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
DanL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m amused by the idea of a ‘failure to make the cut off time’ losers chute. Ironman are really missing a trick.

It could be similarly branded but just have ‘man’ written above it. ‘Congratulations, you are a man’. The brand leaves no room to distinguish between the sexes so the women will just have to cope with it. Not that it will matter as there won’t be anyone there to see you. The finish line will be butted up to the side door of a Tescos so that after you finish you’re straight back to normal life with normal people. No razzmatazz for you. You can’t even get your bike back as you didn’t prepare well enough to deserve one. It’ll be donated to any -10 hour finisher on a bike valued at less than £300.
DanL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
SharrySteve1 wrote:
veggieboy wrote:
SharrySteve1 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Courageous?

why was it an act of great kindness? Shes a pro and it was just another finishers medal. shes probably got enough scrap metal hanging around and to be fair even I don't GAF about them. I'm all for t-shirts though, cant get enough bike cleaning rags. shame they've all gone technical these days and not the fruit of the loom ones anymore

It was courageous. That person has been out for 17 hours and probably stank to high heaven. I'd have probably puked on them when going anywhere near their rankness. That takes guts.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Symes wrote:
Not sure I'd have gone down the carpet if I'd missed the cut-off, would have found a way of completing the distance by carrying on the previous non-finishline route instead.

That

This
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanL wrote:
I’m amused by the idea of a ‘failure to make the cut off time’ losers chute. Ironman are really missing a trick.

It could be similarly branded but just have ‘man’ written above it. ‘Congratulations, you are a man’. The brand leaves no room to distinguish between the sexes so the women will just have to cope with it. Not that it will matter as there won’t be anyone there to see you. The finish line will be butted up to the side door of a Tescos so that after you finish you’re straight back to normal life with normal people. No razzmatazz for you. You can’t even get your bike back as you didn’t prepare well enough to deserve one. It’ll be donated to any -10 hour finisher on a bike valued at less than £300.

Perhaps to stop lawsuits for sexism they could call them something else. Well done you are a spongeman or you are just a jellyman or some equally soft useless waste of space
icehockeyhair

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanL wrote:
The finish line will be butted up to the side door of a Tescos so that after you finish you’re straight back to normal life with normal people.

because tesco's all about the normal people
http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/15/shopper-with-that-saturday-feeling-thrown-out-of-tesco-for-wearing-adult-nappy-5151100/
DanL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehockeyhair wrote:
DanL wrote:
The finish line will be butted up to the side door of a Tescos so that after you finish you’re straight back to normal life with normal people.

because tesco's all about the normal people
http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/15/shopper-with-that-saturday-feeling-thrown-out-of-tesco-for-wearing-adult-nappy-5151100/

I don't think anyone who's on a triathlon forum is in any way qualified to comment on normal attire.

I've walked into a country pub in bib shorts and what sounded like high heels (they were kitten heels actually - ok, it was my cleats). i'm surprised there's not an internet page somewhere with me on it.
ironchimp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanL wrote:
hammerer wrote:
SharrySteve1 wrote:
veggieboy wrote:
SharrySteve1 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Courageous?

It was courageous. That person has been out for 17 hours and probably stank to high heaven. I'd have probably puked on them when going anywhere near their rankness. That takes guts.

Doubt it, the rain will have washed all the stink off them. They'd have just been very, very soggy (and cold).

I was there and I have never been so grateful to have been given a towel.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first Norseman attempt, I missed final cut off (10km from the finish line) by two minutes.

If someone had given me the equivalent I'd have been totally ashamed to take it. Even though I'd been going 17.5 hours by that point, I hadn't deserved it; I had FAILED.

That pain of failure ensured I got off my arse, trained harder and completed it at the next attempt (and 2hrs faster).

Like Nobbie above, I think it's patronising.

My 15 minutes of fame
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athletes normally get their medal and finishers t if they've gone down the final chute don't they? The rolling starts do make it more difficult to know whether someone has made it or not until their final 20 metres.

I can't see the problem in them getting their medal and t shirt if they've missed it, albeit more quietly! If someone has, then they have it, how they chose to use it to motivate themselves later is their choice! They've paid their money after all. Or getting a time for a few minutes over. But anything beyond that should imho not get a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: