Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swashbuckler Middle Distance - 21st May 2017

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t1mmy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Swashbuckler Middle Distance - 21st May 2017 Reply with quote

Hey,

Is anyone on here doing the race this year?

I'm in and looking forward to it.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!

Done 4 Swashbucklers, but not this year.

Great race in a superb venue; 2 things put me off a repeat: it really is a stupidly early start even by triathlon standards (start time can vary due to tides, one year we went off at 5:45am, often around 6:15am), and that tidal estuary is effectively sea temp and can be a bit fresh in May.

Two my Swashbucklers have featured a shortened swim; although you are a bit later in May.

Ask away if you haven't done before and want to know anything...

Oi knee, do one....
t1mmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply.

I'm expecting the swim to be very fresh, hopefully it's not that breezy on the bike afterwards and I'll warm up quickly.

Having not done it before I've seen that they have route maps you can download to your 'device' for both the bike and run. Are the routes pretty well signposted for anyone ho won't be downloading the route?

Cheers
mperks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the Swashbuckler this year - first time at this longer distance. The Oly distance I did before with RaceNewForest certainly didn't require any route-finding and was well signposted and marshalled. I agree about the horrific start time though.
salad_dodger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race New Forest put on excellent events. With regard to signage/directions, they put out plenty of arrow markers and also spray paint arrows on all junctions and turnings so it's almost impossible to go wrong. The run course is well marshalled and straightforward so again, you'd have to have your eyes closed to get lost.

When I last did this event I remember the air temperature being -2 when I arrived at the car park. Plenty of people thought it was a good idea to wear a tri suit for the bike leg which was quite amusing to watch as they turned blue and shivered uncontrollably on the side of the road. As TRO Saracen said, it's an early start so will be cold. Dress sensibly and you'll have a very enjoyable morning.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems ages ago that I started this thread and the race is this weekend!

I've done a couple of open swims in a local lake that opened recently. The first week was 12 degrees and wasn't the most pleasant, last week was 15 degrees and a real confidence booster.

I'll be glad to get the swim out of the way and onto the bike.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, stunning race, fantastic venue.

Given the ridiculous early start you're done by mid morning....and supping some nice cool beer from the pub in the village by midday.

PS the tidal estuary will be colder than your local lake.

Oi knee, do one....
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Good luck, stunning race, fantastic venue.

Given the ridiculous early start you're done by mid morning....and supping some nice cool beer from the pub in the village by midday.

I did one of the crazy early starts (2012...it was definitely 5:something) was a very strange feeling being back at the caravan all done and dusted before 12:00 didn't know what to do with myself!

Until I realised I'd been up since 2:00am so went to bed lol

Concur on it being a great race though, its just way to far for me to do it again.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tide gods must be smiling on us for this years race as it doesn't start till 6:45am
t1mmy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A random question for anyone who has done the race before, is the water salty?

I know it's in a river which is tidal and I'm trying to find out if the salt water pushes up to Bucklers Hard or not.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is salty; also check the current. They try and time the swim start when the river is slack, ie full tide, just before it's about to turn.

But some part of the swim it will not be slack; it runs faster in the deeper mid channel so be closer to the edge against the tide and in the middle (where the boats are) when with.

It's a fun swim (apart from the time of day...)

Oi knee, do one....
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Yes it is salty

Its Brackish though so not overly salty, you can taste it and certainly should avoid drinking it, but its not as in your face as full seawater.

It is a fun swim though around the boats and such, Its quite interesting. The tide was noticeable for me, but that did mean we had a fast out leg(s)...
t1mmy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the responses. I've packed a bottle of water to swill out my mouth and rinse off my face.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race was today so I thought I'd pop up a bit of a race report.

Registration and the race brief were yesterday due to the early start. During the race brief they said the water temperature had been measured at 16 degrees, wahey! This did mean that there was a bloom of golf ball sized jellyfish which apparently don't sting. I thought I'd believe that when I saw it.

Roll on a few hours and I'm stood in my wet suit waiting to get in the water for my first ever triathlon. The swim is a 3 lap job with buoys at one end. Frankly it wouldn't have made a difference if the buoys were the size of cars as the sun shining off the water meant I couldn't sight anything. I opted to swim amongst it all and hope that people to the left and right of me could see properly.

I didn't really suffer much swim biff, I took a few kicks of a breaststroker and found myself being one side of a woman who pinballed between me and another competitor. I did have one guy grab my leg which he apologised for, unfortunately had took a decent bit of skin off my ankle via the timing chip velcro strap; that stung a bit in the salt water!

It turns out they were correct about the jellyfish (why wouldn't they be?!); there were loads of them but they didn't sting.

I kept a pretty steady pace and got out of the swim feeling fine. I'm not a massive swimming fan so was looking forward to getting on the bike. Once you exit the swim you have to run up a slope to transition, where I faffed about getting changed.

Total time for the swim and transition was 52:46.

Onto the bike next and what can I say apart from the course is very picturesque with nice rolling hills. I was carrying 2 water bottles with a plan to drink half of one every 14 miles. Having a full one jump out and smash on the floor at 16 miles was a bit of a pisser. It meant I had to ration my remaining half a bottle for the next 40 miles and adjust my nutrition plan as I couldn't afford to make myself too thirsty. With no aid stations to get any additional fluids I was pleased it stayed a bit cloudy. No real issues on the bike apart from that and I exited transition in 3:11:03.

I took a bit longer in transition to get some food and fluids into me. Towards the end of the cycle the sun came out which was unexpected. The run itself was a nice and what should have been easy course but the sun played havoc with quite a few people. There was very little shade and the high hedgerows stopped any breeze. It turned into a bit of an endurance event at this point and I adopted a run/walk strategy which ended up being more walk than run. I spent the majority of the run going round with a nice guy called Rob, he was in a similar position and the camaraderie was great. I've never had such a bad run and was ecstatic to see so many people cheering us up the hill to finish the 14 miler. Total run time was 2:48:04.

Total race time was 6:51:54. Am I happy with that, one word "yes". I really enjoyed the race and look forward to others in the future.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work T1mmy. I nearly signed up for this but pinging my calf at Easter halted my running. I did a sportive through the area in April and it looked great.

The jellyfish at Tenby LCW are quite big heavy things. They sting a little but nothing compared to what we are used to in Oz. The best part is that if you can grab one just right, they give you awesome leverage. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: