Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
ITB Injury

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: ITB Injury Reply with quote

My season seems to go from one disaster to the next - out running today, ITB flared up, even though I stopped, very painful walking now. No way I can see myself recovering in less than 3 weeks. Should I keep my entry and do swim bike and pull out of run, or postpone my entry to next year (only get 50% deferment now)
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible luck!

I'm quite risk averse - I'd defer to minimise chance of longer term injury.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck Matt
In a similar position myself.
Looks like Swim bike stop for me.... Gutted.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck Maffsurf Sad

Worth getting a foam roller on it?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of stuff on youtube on treating this. Can you get some sports massage over the next few weeks, that will help too, in releasing the fascia.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Loads of stuff on youtube on treating this. Can you get some sports massage over the next few weeks, that will help too, in releasing the fascia.

Also worth checking your running shoes if badly worn? That was the root cause of my itb issues a few years ago and I was able to get running fairly quickly again once it had been diagnosed.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and deal with the acute inflammation but look for the cause ASAP. If you know of a good sports therapist/physio/osteo near you I would go. If they talk about stretching it, I would leave.

IF your knee is moving medially as you run, this ight be why it is sore and is often caused at the foot or the hip. I have seen rapid improvements in knee control with simple exercises in runners when the issue is in the pelvis/hip.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
I would try and deal with the acute inflammation but look for the cause ASAP. If you know of a good sports therapist/physio/osteo near you I would go. If they talk about stretching it, I would leave.

IF your knee is moving medially as you run, this ight be why it is sore and is often caused at the foot or the hip. I have seen rapid improvements in knee control with simple exercises in runners when the issue is in the pelvis/hip.

Yes, the root cause is most likely near the hip/pelvis, manifesting itself at the knee. I had this in the lead-up to my first Iron dist years ago. Foam roller, massage, NSAIDs and functional strengthening exercises. I've found experienced massage therapists are more effective than a physio when it comes to overuse running injuries.

Last edited by Jorgan on Wed May 24, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me a couple of months to properly rehab from ITB - but that was (as Pedro Peru suggested) going to the physio to properly address the root cause and adjusting running style, building up a minute at a time almost, along with activation exercises. Been clear for 2 years pretty much touch wood and it's really improved my running efficiency to boot Smile

+1 for going to see a decent physio and getting some proper advice
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Took me a couple of months to properly rehab from ITB - but that was (as Pedro Peru suggested) going to the physio to properly address the root cause and adjusting running style, building up a minute at a time almost, along with activation exercises. Been clear for 2 years pretty much touch wood and it's really improved my running efficiency to boot Smile

yep, that...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:

Thanks for advise, will certainly follow this route. UK Ultimate was always just a practice event, IM Wales has always been main event, will schedule a visit to Physio as soon as I can
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Pedro Peru wrote:

Yes, the root cause is most likely near the hip/pelvis, manifesting itself at the knee. I had this in the lead-up to my first Iron dist years ago. Foam roller, massage, NSAIDs and functional strengthening exercises. I've found experienced massage therapists are more effective than a physio when it comes to overuse running injuries.

I would say it totally depends on the therapist in question rather than the profession, I know some very good sports therapists, physios and osteos who would be excellent as dealing with this type of thing and know many who although very good, they're not necessarily experienced at dealing with 'sports' people.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to withdraw, UK Ultimate is not my main event, focus is IM Wales. After bike crash, and ongoing ITB issues, not prepared and still injured. Hopefully will be fit for Outlaw half in 5 weeks.

Positive side is that I am doing more swimming, which is weak, I am able to cycle fine, and once injury free I am pretty confident in bringing up my run fitness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: