Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swim-run in the Grauniad Today!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Swim-run in the Grauniad Today! Reply with quote

Article on urban swim-runs today. Anyone recognise themselves in the photos?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2017/jun/15/urban-swimruns-feet-first-into-the-fast-growing-endurance-sport
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm genuinely curious to know why most of the people in those photos seem to have opted to use pull buoys, which they then have to carry with them for the run sections.

Is it to save the legs for the runs or to counteract the effect of swimming in trainers?
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys I know strap the pull buoy to their thigh so when not swimming they rotate it to the outside of the leg so not in the way for running but they don't have to carry it.

I think it's a combination of things, trainers as you mention, a lack of buoyancy from the shorty wetsuit (although most wear thick neoprene calf guards too) and just extra speed from getting legs as high in the water a possible.

The pictures I've seen from the actual Otillo races have all sorts of oddities going on, pop bottles tied round their waist etc.

Last edited by JaRok2300 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
doug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some tests before my first swimrun and found that for a ~500m loop I was ~1min faster with a pull buoy than without when wearing shoes. It made no difference without shoes.

I found thick neoprene calf guards did help a little if I didn't use a pull buoy but made no difference if I did use a pull buoy.

Pull buoy is strapped to the thigh and rotates out of the way when running and didn't bother me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: