Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Are wrist based heart monitors accurate or is the jury out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Are wrist based heart monitors accurate or is the jury o Reply with quote

AkselVerg wrote:
Waddy-UK wrote:
Hi all, heard a lot about the watches with heart rate monitors not being accurate. I just wondered what those in the knows thoughts are on this thanks?

I use a chest monitor but they can be a pain but heard bad reviews about the stats and accuracy of wrist based monitors.

Thanks

I'm not very experienced in the subject of a variety of specialized devices for measuring heart rate, etc. I can only share my little personal experience. I like long walks on a bicycle which often lasts from 3 to 9 hours. For the convenience of listening to music and answering calls, I bought a smart watch (here a comparison of my watch((Garmin) and some others https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/smart-watches) . They have a heart rate sensor and it should be noted that it worked without a malfunction (specially tested in the gym at various loads).
Here, only two options are possible, I think, if the pulse meter fails - either a low-quality technique or a breakdown occurred Idea

Me too! I love long walks on my bicycle. Just the best
Cobbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used chest strap HR off and on for many years (Polar then Saris) and now using a Fitbit Charge HR, I have found the wrist sensor to be pretty accurate.
Someone said on page 1 about it missing transient phases and it definitely does so I'm not sure I'd rely on it during interval training but having said that, HR is an awful measure for that anyway; much better to use power on the bike and RPE for run and swim.

What I really like about the Fitbit is that it gives me a HR trace for the whole day, not just when I'm exercising. So I get a good view of how active I've been in the round, how speedy my recovery is after training etc. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: