Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castleman wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
How's the Zwift experience panning-out for people now? I'm yet to use the trainer this off season, as I can't stand the thing. Yet it's probably the thing that would help me make some progress on the bike/on my FTP.

I currently have a Tacx Satori and a Power2Max; apart from the dongle stuff, would I need anything else? I'm guessing Internet connectivity, which might be a problem in the garage given all the thick brick walls in the new place (opposite side of house to router).

You can get wifi boosters (or can be used for a wired connection), that use the internal cabling of the house power sockets. About 30quid and great - I've used them and even with old wiring I saw little noticeable delay in connection speeds.

Yeah I tried that, but it didn't work so I took them back. Our house is over 200 years old, but I don't know about the electrics!
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Exile wrote:
I'm interested in this too. I am in the process of getting a new trainer - and I am torn between a turbo or rollers.

If I go for rollers and do not have a power meter can I still use Zwift? How does the lack of a compatible trainer or power meter effect the experience? I have a speed/cadence sensor and Ant+ dongle.

I'm not sure that you'd get much from Zwift on rollers without a power meter, other than some pretty pictures to look at while you're riding.

I went to a Zwift demo about a year ago and to get the best out of it you really need a smart trainer that adjusts the resistance to reflect the terrain on the screen and the "drafting effect" of the riders around you.

If you've just got a standard trainer with power meter or calculated power then you're either relying on manually changing the resistance on the trainer to reflect the gradient changes on the screen or you're riding at a constant power and your speed on the screen will adjust according to the terrain. If you're on rollers then you're more in the latter category.
Tigger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up on Zwift now they charge.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original post still stands, good idea but not for me. Prefer sufferfest and Trainerroad. If I had a kickr maybe it would be better but find it a bit boring really.
The_Exile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
I'm interested in this too. I am in the process of getting a new trainer - and I am torn between a turbo or rollers.

If I go for rollers and do not have a power meter can I still use Zwift? How does the lack of a compatible trainer or power meter effect the experience? I have a speed/cadence sensor and Ant+ dongle.

I'm not sure that you'd get much from Zwift on rollers without a power meter, other than some pretty pictures to look at while you're riding.

I went to a Zwift demo about a year ago and to get the best out of it you really need a smart trainer that adjusts the resistance to reflect the terrain on the screen and the "drafting effect" of the riders around you.

If you've just got a standard trainer with power meter or calculated power then you're either relying on manually changing the resistance on the trainer to reflect the gradient changes on the screen or you're riding at a constant power and your speed on the screen will adjust according to the terrain. If you're on rollers then you're more in the latter category.

Thank you
mikeaver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwift really is in its infancy at the moment, and to get the best from it you definately do need to have a powermeter and ideally a smart trainer and then it elevates to a whole different experience.
Once you know your way round the options/computer requirements there are organised races, time trials and workout modules as well as group rides. Most of the races etc are organised and ran by the "zwift community" rather than Zwift themselves but in time the administration of these may well be under the control of Zwift and therefore will become more organised and less of a bunfight.
The problem I find at the moment is its a bit of a free for all with people taking it far too serious as if its some wonderful holistic movement! but Im not and never have been a "gamer" so perhaps thats what its like in that world?
there is lots of information on facebook group Zwift Riders, and lots of other groups are springing up every day. I do think it is going to be superb though in time.
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeslow wrote:
Zwift really is in its infancy at the moment, and to get the best from it you definately do need to have a powermeter and ideally a smart trainer and then it elevates to a whole different experience.
Once you know your way round the options/computer requirements there are organised races, time trials and workout modules as well as group rides. Most of the races etc are organised and ran by the "zwift community" rather than Zwift themselves but in time the administration of these may well be under the control of Zwift and therefore will become more organised and less of a bunfight.
The problem I find at the moment is its a bit of a free for all with people taking it far too serious as if its some wonderful holistic movement! but Im not and never have been a "gamer" so perhaps thats what its like in that world?
there is lots of information on facebook group Zwift Riders, and lots of other groups are springing up every day. I do think it is going to be superb though in time.

Zwift definitely seems like indoor cycling for the Strava and Playstation generations Wink

Having spent many hours looking at a blank wall while on the Concept2 when I was a rower, I think I can get through an interval session on the Wattbike without any extra visual stimulation Rolling Eyes It may be different if you are doing your long rides on the turbo through the winter, but I usually do all the long stuff outside (with real people) and just do the shorter, more structured stuff indoors.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Who are these 'real people' on long rides you speak of?

It's one of the reasons I dread my inital long IM training rides.
Nelson PK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year and a half on from the last post on this, have may more of the TT community joined Zwift?

Peter
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use it. I have a Neo and it does make it better. Have done some races that are good but too many "flyers" knocking out stupid power numbers that should be in the pro peloton if they are correct. I did a 3 hr ride on it a couple weeks ago as i needed a long ride and I had a tub p* in the morning so jumped on Zwift instead. I don't do the structured workouts anymore as I dont like them and prefer Sufferfest for that. The course upgrades over the past year -
18months are good so you now have a flat lap of 10km, the short volcano lap of 4k, usual rolling course of 10km which is great for flat hard intervals or the mountain for a 45min climb.
The Richmond UCI course is still there but twice a month at most and most hate it but i dont mind it as its different. London is sh!t, and they've just extended that. Still you do get to ride a teleport through a tube station and end up at box hill...... FFS......but then it is a good length of climb at 10mins for pushing on.
duckhen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on D.Hen quite like it for set workouts or free rides
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not pulled the trigger myself. I get the impression that whilst using it with a PM is emminently doable, having a smart trainer really makes the most of the app?

What 'cheap' smart trainers are peoiple using? Love the idea of direct-drive, but not worth the cost given the use it will get.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Bkool classic (the original white one without extending feet)

Bought it brand new from Bkool with a year's membership when they were selling them off for the new model. Never had any trouble with it and it sits in the shed year round in all temperatures.

Not sure how accurate the power readings are as there's no calibration but it feels OK and the interactive rides definitely pass the time better than a dumb trainer. Gets a bit lumpy at high power/low cadence as I don't think it has the biggest fly wheel. Alpe d'Huez at 60rpm in 1st gear was like a series of leg presses but that says more about my ability I think!
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Elite Dorito (I know Wink ), so signed up to Zwift. Still figuring stuff out. I am 'I.Fatpom' on there.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally put the Elite Real Axiom in the garage as a spare (after maybe 10 years excellent service) and bought an Elite Drivo only to send it back a week later and bought a Tacx Neo...

I create my own courses based on target races/ training needs....works well...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: