Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swimming Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollam69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Swimming Problems Reply with quote

Hi all again, after a couple of years of inactivity i started again. Therefore few tips are always welcome. I had a couple of tri (sprint)in the last month and the main problem is with the swim. Bike is good and the run is getting better. The swim in any way you would like to look at it, is rubbish. I had a swim few days ago with a friend and while is was looking at me told me that my legs seems not to flow, they are really low (underthe water) compare to the rest of the boby. On top of it, i seem to roll quite a lot in water therefore the legs arent just under the water but they seem to cross eachother too with the movement.
Any tips to improve it or at least to reduce the problem ? Thanks and apologies for the english.
iwaters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More often than not sinky legs is caused by a too high head position.

Try lowering your head a bit when you swim and see if that brings your legs up. When you breathe you want one google in the water and one above so that your head stays flat on the water.

Try 6-1-6 and 6-3-6 drills to build a good flutter kick and get the rolling under control.

Best advice though is to get a coach who knows what they are doing to watch you and find flaws in your technique. I have had a few 1-2-1s with my coach and in a few years have gone form not being able to swim more than 2 lengths to a sub 6 400m.
ollam69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.
What do you mean for lowering your head. Is it meant as instead of watching the wall in front of you, i have to watch the bottom of the pool Or phisically try to push the head further down in water. I have had a go at the breathing tecnique you said. One google in and one out of the water. I cannot really do it. Idrink waterto start and most important it seems like i do not get enough air in.

Thanks for your reply.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your head will generally follow where you are looking. Find some videos of Phelps or Thorpe etc swimming in Youtube. They are looking almost straight down, you want to be looking a little ahead rather than directly straight down.

Sounds to me like you are swimming head up at the minute? If that;s the case then getting your head down will make a huge difference
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: