Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Recommend me a fast wetsuit I can actually remove in T1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oranj

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Recommend me a fast wetsuit I can actually remove in T1 Reply with quote

As per the title.

After an "entry level" wetsuit for my first season of open water swimming, I graduated to a BlueSeventy Synergie which I liked loads, although it was a little clunky to swim in - I have quite broad shoulders for my height and like a bit more flexibility there. So when Planet X had a flash sale on BlueSeventy Helix (I think I paid about 150!) I snapped one up and it definitely flattered my 1:35-1:40 race swim speed. But:

1. Small hate about how the zip does up the "wrong way" (I travel alone and always have to explain this to whoever I pick to zip up my suit).
2. It is so damn flexible that, yes, it is superb to swim in, but the downside is that trying to get out of it is like wrestling an elastic octopus in vaseline. All the time I that make up in the swim is lost in T1 trying to get the damn thing off. Every time you grab a bit/stand on it to drag it off it just snaps back. So much so that all last year I only used it as a training suit and kept the Synergie for racing.

I gambled with the Helix on Sunday, but the water was so cold and the circulation in my hands so poor I wasted an extra 90s in T1 trying to get rid of it, despite lathering myself in bodyglide. I have red marks down the back of my calves today where I was grabbing/standing on it to get it off. You can't really cut it down much - the arms are so skinny they have cuffs to stop tears, and the legs are already as short as my modded Synergie.

So, is there a wetsuit that is flexible across the shoulders for swimming but easier to get off? Do those fancy speed cuffs on the Zone 3 Aspire and BlueSeventy Sprint work to help you get the suit off? Maybe one of those top HUUB suits, that doesn't seem to feature any of that nonsense would be better?
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience it's all about getting the right size, and knowing how to put one on, and take it off.

There is no brand or model that negates that.

Go to a wetsuit shop and try a few on.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
PCP

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Helix but always put a little bit of baby oil round my wrists and ankles and it slides off.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what both Tin Pot and PCP says - fit is important as is the use of lube in key areas.

I also find that wearing calf guards helps it slide off quicker over the lower legs (that's about the only use for calf guards imho!) , plus open the neck and fill the suit with water as you exit the swim - the water acts like a lube as you pull it down
Oranj

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

The suit fits great - like a second skin when I'm swimming in it - tight enough but no chafeing.

I already know about filling it with water on the way out of the lake and have years of practice at getting a wetsuit off - I did that with every open water swim training sesh in the Helix last year and always struggled with it. I haven't tried baby oil though, maybe that's the solution. The suit is already showing signs of tearing at the shoulders where I've fought with it, so I guess I have nothing to lose.

Calf guards, ugh.

Looks like I need to get myself to a shop, take a look at what's on offer, try a few on, although they might baulk at me trying to get out of one in under 30 secs.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oranj wrote:
Thanks all.

The suit fits great - like a second skin when I'm swimming in it - tight enough but no chafeing.

I already know about filling it with water on the way out of the lake and have years of practice at getting a wetsuit off - I did that with every open water swim training sesh in the Helix last year and always struggled with it. I haven't tried baby oil though, maybe that's the solution. The suit is already showing signs of tearing at the shoulders where I've fought with it, so I guess I have nothing to lose.

Calf guards, ugh.

Looks like I need to get myself to a shop, take a look at what's on offer, try a few on, although they might baulk at me trying to get out of one in under 30 secs.

won't disagree with that comment at all but to save a few seconds are worth considering.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some vaseline/bodyglide/whatever lube on the outside of my wetsuit - prior to swimming - over the shins & forearms of my wetsuit to make things faster in T1.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie, I'd have thought a man of your caliber would be all over this Wink

As well as vaseline on wrists and ankles, (top tip here) the single biggest thing you can do to make wetsuit removal way easier is just before you exit the water....

Can anyone guess?
Oranj

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know, I've practised getting out of this new suit many times but just don't seem to be able to boss it like the old one. I don't think my utterly crap circulation helps when I climb out of a cold lake either - my hands are usually useless for a few minutes.

I think we can all guess the answer to that one.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oranj wrote:

Kudos to you if you can pee whilst swimming flat out Laughing

Just pull the neck of your suit open before you stand-up and fill the suit with water; then get the top half off asap. The legs should hold more water as it drains down. But lube on you ankles will help; vaseline is the most resilient...and don't buy into the theory it rots neoprene, as my Snugg has been going 8 years now.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Oranj wrote:

Kudos to you if you can pee whilst swimming flat out Laughing

Just pull the neck of your suit open before you stand-up and fill the suit with water; then get the top half off asap. The legs should hold more water as it drains down. But lube on you ankles will help; vaseline is the most resilient...and don't buy into the theory it rots neoprene, as my Snugg has been going 8 years now.

I actually managed to do that once - Outlaw 2010. had been trying for years before but no go, and never managed it since.
Oranj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread revival.

I gave up and bought a cheaper suit - Blueseventy Fusion - in the same size (and put the Helix on eBay). Just as nice to swim in and it takes me about 20 sec to get off in T1 as it doesn't have those annoyingly elastic cuffs. Problem solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: