Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Canadian AG Athlete DQ'd for deflating an opponent's tyres!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Now in triathlon the different between retired pro and 'elite' amateur may be less than my examples, but the principle still holds true - professional vs hobbiest is fundamentally not a fair fight.

There are many 'Amateur' AG triathletes who are effectively training full time. Complaining that you can't win your AG in an amateur sport because someone faster turned up is a bit petty.

--

yep....lo and behold races are usually won by those who have applied themselves most effectively...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/

Last edited by explorerJC on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Endurance sports such as triathlon, are much more "evenly matched" after years off in post-pro life compared to those where technique/skill is the highest limiter to performance.

Your example of Tiger Woods Vs amateur is skewed by the high skill cap required for golf, which won't deteriorate as fast as functional fitness. That being said, ex-pro endurance athletes are still much more likely than Joe Public to enjoy an active lifestyle and maintain high fitness. For example, see Chrissie Wellington (recently coming 2nd overall and 1st female in a 52 mile Ultra) or Paula Radcliffe (2:36:55 in her final marathon)

FWIW I welcome ex-pros racing in AG, I think few other sports would facilitate the return to a lower level purely for their love of the sport. Why shouldn't they be allowed the opportunity to race and qualify for certain events?

Chrissie is a great example to support my point of view, it was fantastic to see her perform so well in the London Marathon after so long in retirement. What wasn't so great to see was a former professional, multiple Ironman World Champion pummel the amateurs in that age group. Maybe the second placer was happy to have raced her, but it would be a shame if that was her only race winning performance that an ex pro beat her to.

If there was a way to see former pros in a fair race, I'd support it. I think in other sports they tend to come back to compete for fun - not for podiums.

Perhaps you guys only see it from a competitors point of view, I'm seeing it only as a fan/spectator.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
TriSam wrote:
Endurance sports such as triathlon, are much more "evenly matched" after years off in post-pro life compared to those where technique/skill is the highest limiter to performance.

Your example of Tiger Woods Vs amateur is skewed by the high skill cap required for golf, which won't deteriorate as fast as functional fitness. That being said, ex-pro endurance athletes are still much more likely than Joe Public to enjoy an active lifestyle and maintain high fitness. For example, see Chrissie Wellington (recently coming 2nd overall and 1st female in a 52 mile Ultra) or Paula Radcliffe (2:36:55 in her final marathon)

FWIW I welcome ex-pros racing in AG, I think few other sports would facilitate the return to a lower level purely for their love of the sport. Why shouldn't they be allowed the opportunity to race and qualify for certain events?

Chrissie is a great example to support my point of view, it was fantastic to see her perform so well in the London Marathon after so long in retirement. What wasn't so great to see was a former professional, multiple Ironman World Champion pummel the amateurs in that age group. Maybe the second placer was happy to have raced her, but it would be a shame if that was her only race winning performance that an ex pro beat her to.

If there was a way to see former pros in a fair race, I'd support it. I think in other sports they tend to come back to compete for fun - not for podiums.

Perhaps you guys only see it from a competitors point of view, I'm seeing it only as a fan/spectator.

do you only hold this view for sport or does it pervade other areas of competitiveness?

jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
do you only hold this view for sport or does it pervade other areas of competitiveness?

I see it for everything where there are artificial categories created to enable competition, abusing those categories is the problem.

So, yes, I would be similarly unimpressed if that stargazing badger lover decided he'd enter the local pubs guitar competition.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
TriSam wrote:

Of course this is about sport, isn't it? Although I suppose if Adele* were to show up at a local talent contest I'd feel the same way.

*I'm struggling to think of a retired singer who isn't dead.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
TriSam wrote:

What about a soon-to-turn-pro amateur doing their last race as an AGer? I can think of a few IM athletes who've put in some stellar performances as AGers before quitting their jobs and going full-time.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Of course this is about sport, isn't it? Although I suppose if Adele* were to show up at a local talent contest I'd feel the same way.

Boy George or David Essex maybe? they can stay the hell away from BGT Exclamation
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

What about a soon-to-turn-pro amateur doing their last race as an AGer? I can think of a few IM athletes who've put in some stellar performances as AGers before quitting their jobs and going full-time.

Tbh, there are so many grey areas. This one above (the most 'legitimate' I guess), recently 'retired' pros, AGers basically living as full-time athletes.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Bryan Adams - photographer now?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I see it for everything where there are artificial categories created to enable competition, abusing those categories is the problem.

So, yes, I would be similarly unimpressed if that stargazing badger lover decided he'd enter the local pubs guitar competition.

what categories aren't artificial?

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
TriSam wrote:

that's a bit selfish on sports men and women isn't it? You can't compete because it spoils TP's enjoyment...why should be any different than other aspects of life?

i assume that if someone with more money outbid you at a charity auction then you'd take it on the chin...or if you didn't get a job because someone else had a greater qualification you'd have to either accept that or do something about it...

if Adele came to the local talent contest then good luck to her...i doubt it would provide her with much enjoyment, but, if it did then she can fill her boots as far as i'm concerned... (i wouldn't know here from eve anyway, so it would be lost on me)

GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of 'snowflakery' going on....... lets hold back and exclude anyone who is good at something because the ones who are not as good might get upset Very Happy
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Boy George or David Essex maybe? they can stay the hell away from BGT Exclamation

Judging by Gibbs performance at Glastonbury even Id beat him at a singing contest
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Judging by Gibbs performance at Glastonbury even Id beat him at a singing contest

Yellow pages ads and singing? multi talented :0

MrTim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Sounds like a lot of 'snowflakery' going on....... lets hold back and exclude anyone who is good at something because the ones who are not as good might get upset Very Happy

Quite. And where would you draw the line? I saw someone comment on one of the local Parkrun Facebook pages that "Anyone who's fast enough to be lapping people shouldn't be taking part, because it's very discouraging to the new, slower runners and makes them feel unwelcome", but as it's a 4 lap course and some people walk the entire I still lap loads of people with a 25 minute 5k, whilst getting lapped myself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: