Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cotswold 113 & Classic Events 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Wicksy on 4th Cool
Special times Wink indeed
http://dbmaxresults.co.uk/results.aspx?CId=16421&RId=152

What distances did people get on their Garmins? Was the sw1m a teeny bit long too?
Glad I finblly made the last edition of this IM. Loved the bike course and most of the run was sheltered trail. Well dun Graeme and all the team. The Loud Guy was hilarious, proper force of nature. Thumbs Up
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Tupperware

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the run at around 38km, probably the turnaround point was not quite far enough down the out-and-back road.

My swim came out as ~4km. It is normally quite accurate for 1500m laps of Lake 32, but maybe a bit of poor sighting added to the distance. A quick survey of a few swims on strava gave between 3.9-4.3km, so maybe a bit long.

For completeness, the bike was ~178km.
Wicksy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Congrats Wicksy on 4th Cool
Special times Wink indeed
http://dbmaxresults.co.uk/results.aspx?CId=16421&RId=152

What distances did people get on their Garmins? Was the sw1m a teeny bit long too?
Glad I finblly made the last edition of this IM. Loved the bike course and most of the run was sheltered trail. Well dun Graeme and all the team. The Loud Guy was hilarious, proper force of nature. Thumbs Up

Cheers TC. Glad to see you were back down in my neck of the woods this weekend doing the Isoman. After last year I have vowed never to swim those silly distances again. Twisted Evil

Have been racing really well this year with marathon PB's and a strong middle distance race at the Cotswold 113. Looking good for Ironman Wales which will suit me better. The loud guy was there for the 113 as well - awesome.

Swim felt long by a few hundred metres but the bike was pretty close. A few people I talked to afterwards had the run at 38km.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the changes made last year to the run to keep it away from South Cerney, they tried a very narrow off-road out & back off the lake (5x about a km). We suggested Graeme remove this bit as it was a nightmare when it got busier with overtaking & people coming the other way. I think the new out & back was past Neigh Bridge Lake, as suggested, but obviously it needed to go further up the road. The three Strava files I saw had it at 37.6/7 km.

It's a shame to see this event slip away (for understandable reasons), but 4 years is a good stab at it, and I'm really glad I did it last year as my first Full on UK soil Cool
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good weekend at the Classic on Sunday.

The parking situation was a lot better than June, and being able to pre-pay for Sunday on the Saturday seemed to speed up the flow of cars into the field noticeably.

Race wise, it was the same as ever. A very slick, well run event. Run course has changed slightly in the first km, but fundamentally the same. The aid station moving a few hundred meters further up on the run, just beyond the log you need to hurdle, threw me a little bit on the first lap!

In terms of personal performance, I achieved my goal of getting sub4.40 and managed to go 4:39:00. So a whole 82s faster than June Rolling Eyes

Happy overall, but slightly disappointed it wasnt a bit faster. In June I felt like I had a poor swim, whereas Sunday I felt strong and powerful throughout. Yet my time was nearly a minute down at 29:53 versus 29:01. I think that was down to the wave strength. According to the results I finished 7th in my wave this weekend, and the people ahead all left me quite quickly, so I was swimming in no mans land for the entire time. Whereas in June, I remember getting decent stretches of drafting, so I think that must account for the lost time.

Bike wise, I was 2mins quicker, but can't quite figure out if that's to be expected or not. In my head, I would have hoped for a bit more but unclear if that's being unrealistic. In June, I averaged 183W for 2:32. Sunday I held 199W for 2:30. Looking at the strava data for the main loops, they break down as:

June Lap 1 - 179W for 1:15:43
June Lap 2 - 188W for 1:14:38
Aug Lap 1 - 199W for 1:13:40
Aug Lap 2 - 198W for 1:14:35

Equipment was exactly the same, other than I now have a Torhans Aero 30 bottle, rather than Aero 20. Conditions felt similar, and the weather shown on the Garmin Connect files has wind in a similar direction and within 1kph of one another. It was 2+ degrees colder apparently this Sunday, so maybe air density a bit higher but that's clutching a little it feels?!

Position has changed too after a bike fit. I am now a lot lower and would have thought more aero, but who knows if that actually equates to lower cda? Post-fit image below, after a session on the guru machine and then trying to replicate on my bike. Ideally I need a slightly longer stem apparently to enable them to fully replicate the fit as the current step length meant they needed to rotate me back slightly to get it to work.

Overall, I'm happy with the bike. I fundamentally held more power, which was the target, and then ran only 20s slower than my June time off of that, so implies there has been an improvement in bike fitness with limited run downside. I guess I just thought 15+ watts would equate to more than 2mins. At that rate, especially given the non-linear increase in power required to get faster, I have no idea how I can ever get near those times that are >20mins faster!

I did have a bit of drama to report coming into T2. I'd decided to flying dismount for the first time at middle distance, looking to save every second possible. All went well until my feet hit the tarmac. They were completely numb, the legs decided they didnt want to work at that moment in time, and it resulted in a slow speed face plant. Hugely elegant! Disbelief No serious ill effects at the time, although the top of one foot is cut up pretty bad. That'll take a bit of time to heal annoyingly.

But all in all, a successful day I suppose. I achieved my target time, but I'm just a bit surprised by how little I gained from working quite a lot harder. June felt comfortable, as shown by picking up the pace and power on lap 2 of the bike. Sunday I felt I was pushing noticeably harder and the run was a battle from the off.

Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub 4:39 is the benchmark on this course.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Knew you would say that!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Knew you would say that!

Obviously that's for M40; you should be aiming lower at your age: what AG are you?
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 year left in 30-34.
Still relatively new to triathlon though I'd argue. I've historically been more of a fast-twitch athlete, so I'm of the mindset that I still have a fair amount of "building into endurance" to go, and that could take another number of years. This will have been my fourth full year doing endurance based stuff. It's only 5 years ago that a 5k seemed insanely far!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
1 year left in 30-34.
Still relatively new to triathlon though I'd argue. I've historically been more of a fast-twitch athlete, so I'm of the mindset that I still have a fair amount of "building into endurance" to go, and that could take another number of years. This will have been my fourth full year doing endurance based stuff. It's only 5 years ago that a 5k seemed insanely far!

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me Wink You may already be plateauing though; time will tell. Plus we had #1 child when I was 36, which is also something to consider. Age 34, your benchmark has to be 4:32 on that course; 4:30 when you age-up. Then it goes down when you hit 40 if you have young 'uns Laughing

That run course might be flat, but I don't think it's particularly fast due to the terrain. My two best runs have been after an Ironman (so the Classic) when I had the training behind me. Ran 1:28 in 2013 iirc.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely excuses!
I am still showing improvement. Just at the lower endurance levels. Standalone HM plummeted this year (ran sub 1.23), but can't get anywhere near that after a long swim and bike. I've also now gone sub18 at 5k. Yet my second marathon at VLM this spring was a disaster (after a 3.04 in my first), so the proper long stuff is still not tuned in.

Bike wise, the power improvement between the two races this year show I'm still making steady progress. And taking a year off marathons next year mean I hope to be able to get a really good block of winter riding in, which I've not managed for 2 years.

Swim has plateaued a bit, but I don't think I'm ever going to be a 20mins 1.5k swimmer coming at it so late, and my view is I've probably made all the easy gains now. The fact I'm comfortably sub6 mins for 400m at least has me not losing significant time.

I do feel I have a low 4.30s in me on that course, but the bike time from Sunday has made me question that. I still can't rationalise the minimal time improvement from a fairly substantial increase in power, and what should have been an advantageous position change.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I do like the longer stuff, I do wonder if I'm better at the short races for my age; I certainly seem to place better in Sprints for example, being 1st/2nd Vet normally. Of course, if you have limited time and can train intelligently, you can still be good at shorter distances. To be good at longer stuff, I need more volume, especially the bike.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
In June I felt like I had a poor swim, whereas Sunday I felt strong and powerful throughout. Yet my time was nearly a minute down at 29:53 versus 29:01.

Also, OW swims can be different every time the course is laid out; it's unlikely any event gets the distance exactly the same every time.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
In June I felt like I had a poor swim, whereas Sunday I felt strong and powerful throughout. Yet my time was nearly a minute down at 29:53 versus 29:01.

Also, OW swims can be different every time the course is laid out; it's unlikely any event gets the distance exactly the same every time.

True. I know Garmin OW swim mode is inherently a guess, but the two races do have the distance within 10m of one another, so that would imply there wasn't any significant shift in course. But I do take the point.
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time for me at this event and was happy to get 4:34 & 6th in cat which is a PB for me at this distance, especially as I didn't tapor as its a training race for IM Italy next month. As my finish times get quicker my poor swimming (38 mins) is having a bigger effect on my results as I'm just giving too much time away there.
I can't fault the organisation of the event but I was surprised how rough the roads were on the bike given previous comments about the Outlaw half course a few weeks earlier.
For reference my NP was 256W from 76kg on a 2:21 bike split.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: