Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Current Lake Temperatures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oranj wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
I see Frankfurt was a wetsuit swim yesterday...

But reading the Tri247 report, the pros were non-wetsuit. Did they have a special warm water lane to swim in or what Confused

Or just different rules ?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros cut-off is 22 degrees.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Did Thorpe Park Oly yday and had assumed it would be no wetsuit since all the local lakes are at least 24 degrees at the moment, but was surprised it hadn't been mentioned in the build up emails.

Anyway, was even more surprised to see everyone suiting up so assumed they'd fudged the reading! Then heard the referee/official talking and the temp was 24.5 but the organizers had applied for a wetsuit exception, which meant they could run the event still with a wetsuit swim.

I'd not heard of this before - is it common?

Didn't feel too uncomfortably warm but I do wonder how much of a knock-on effect the warm swim had later, was certainly baking by the time the run finished Smile

I was that Chief Official.... Laughing

the info about the event being wetsuit compulsory is in the race info on the Triproject website and has been that way since the events started there. TP have applied for exemptions to the BTF rule for these events as it's something that is insisted upon them by the park management who ultimately control the use of the water, (I know of other water bodies that have the same conditions imposed on event organisers - London Tri being the big one) plus Swim Safety who manage the swim also prefer this on safety grounds. for the ETU qualifier in Sep there will be no wetsuit exemption as all concerned want these events to be managed under the full rules (as was the Sprint Champ race in June) and extra swim safety is provided to cover this matter.

the wetsuit compulsory issue was also mentioned in the race briefing.

is this common? no. is it allowable? yes

here endeth the education into the BTF rules......Razz

PS - Rule 1.5 if you're interested.... Very Happy

Ha! Brilliant - nice to sort of meet you then Smile Cheers for the explanation.
Oranj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Pros cut-off is 22 degrees.

Thumbs Up
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temp at my local lake was 23.6. Wetsuit banned for general swims there is 24. I was quite happy to go in, in just my jammers but still saw loads of people fully suited up.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
What about Hever yesterday? Apparently water temperature was measured to be above the wetsuit cutoff, but wetsuits were allowed anyway?

from what I understand, some shallow parts of the lake were above 24C, but below 23C in the river where the water flow is cooler. the temperature reading that is accepted by the TO and whoever is Swim Safety Manager is the lowest reading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: