Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Germany 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttowel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davo82 wrote:
Any ideas on the best place to stay?

The Intercontinental is hugely expensive and the split transition is causing doubts.

Has anyone stayed near the airport....seems a happy medium or best to stay near the finish line?

Thanks.

Loads of cheap places. Stay closer to the Romberg if you can, makes it easier for T2 and finish admin.

Split transition not an issue. Cycle down, takes about 25 mins, get the shuttle bus back.

Only negative I had about the race was the lack of parking anywhere near the lake on the days before. Swim recce advisable but bit of an ar$e to do unless you ride there.
piertown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davo82 wrote:
Any ideas on the best place to stay?

The Intercontinental is hugely expensive and the split transition is causing doubts.

Has anyone stayed near the airport....seems a happy medium or best to stay near the finish line?

Thanks.

Try the wyndham dead opposite the intercontinental
davo82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Has anyone stayed here?

http://www.miramar-frankfurt.de/index.php?lang=en

IM 70.3 Putrajaya (2016)
IM Langkawi, Malaysia (2016)
IM European Championships, Frankfurt (2017)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at the Main Plaza; not cheap, but convenient and I split the costs. Parking costs are something else you normally have to factor-in if you drive, as the hotels charge for this.
mash180

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davo82 wrote:
Thanks all.

Has anyone stayed here?

http://www.miramar-frankfurt.de/index.php?lang=en

Yes literally the best option for the race because it's right on the finish line.
davo82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.....I have booked a room at the Miramar. It looked like a good location based on the finish line.

Thanks for all the help and look forward to seeing some of you there! 1st up I have IM Langkawi to deal with.

IM 70.3 Putrajaya (2016)
IM Langkawi, Malaysia (2016)
IM European Championships, Frankfurt (2017)
piertown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start list is up,3200 starters,seems more than usual
Richard Allbert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, had to dig to find this.

A few years ago (well when I started tri in 2007) this thread would be top of page one for 12 months, what happened?

How did it go for people this year?
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am up for 2018 race , so interested on this years race
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i get a chance later this week i'll put up a brief report but in a nutshell a typically well run race in challenging hot conditions.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Frankfurt, like all races in the German summer tends to be scorchio or wet/miserable; I say that after living there for 4 years. There is rarely any happy medium! I have been battered by hailstorms in mid June over there, before the sun came out again! When I did Roth in 2008, it was that cold/wet I had to wear a gilet on the bike, and when I did Frankfurt it was 104 degrees.

Just roll the weather dice Very Happy
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick race report which also includes some info if you're considering doing this race (having done it the last 2 years).

Travel: dead easy race to enter in terms of logistics. Fly into Frankfurt airport, 20-25 mins taxi into the city (around 35 euros), or you can get the underground train from the airport straight into the city for around 5 euros.

Hotels: plenty of choice, the main hub of Ironman is by the river (Mainkai) which is a 2min walk from the city centre. I stayed at NH Collection both years, about a 10 min walk form Mainkai. I would suggest you get a room with aircon.

Registration: all done in the IM Village at Mainkai - very easy and doesn't take long.

Transition bags/racking etc:
T1 swim/bike: swim takes place at Langener Waldsee which is a 20m bus ride from Mainkai. Frequent shuttle buses go from Mainkai from about 12pm on the Saturday taking you and your bike to the lake, you'll also need to take the T1 bag (with your bike gear). Tip here is to go early rather than later - the queues for the buses build through the afternoon so if you go later be prepared for a long wait (an hour or so). If you can't wait you can always bike there - about 10m away. Racking is straight forward and you'll collect your timing chip on the way out of T1. The same shuttle buses take you back into Frankfurt.
T2 run: you can either take the T2 bag (run gear) to Langener Waldsee where they will then transport and hang it up in T2 or you can take it there yourself - this is located in the IM Village at Mainkai.

All very straight forward once you get your head around the split transitions.

Weather: temperature forecast for 30 degrees with virtually no wind -scorchio!

The race.

Catch the bus from Mainkai, starting at 4am for the 20m ride to the lake (transition opens at 5am on the button). Loads of pumps available and you can get to your T1 bags if you want to. T1 closes at 6.15 with the pro's off at 6.30 with a rolling start for AGers at 6.40.

Swim: large gravel pit lake, clear water, man made sandy beach - popular leisure amenity for the locals. Water temp on the day was 24.1 so a wetsuit swim (touch and go if it would be leading up to the day). Rolling start , straight forward 2 loop course with the Aussie exit - loop 1 is shorter than loop 2. For me a slower swim at 1:16 but wasn't too concerned as I didn't want to push too hard - started to feel quite hot in the warm water/wetsuit about half way through so took it quite easy. Swim time for me 1:16 a couple of minutes down on last year.

Bike: changed into full bike gear, including arm coolers (good choice which helped keep me cool on run and bike). bike course was short by 3m according to my garmin (officially it was 3km short) due to road works - all disclosed several months ago and in the race blurb so no one was hiding anything here.

ride from the lake into frankfurt/mainkai and begin the fast 2 lap course, excellent road surface, some "hills" but nothing steep, total climbing around 4500ft. after the first few miles didn't see any real drafting or packs - there's plenty of moto's riding around and they're proactive in warning people. 2nd lap and things really started to warm-up: you could feel the heat coming off the road and it was like having a hairdryer strapped to your helmet with hot air in your face with no respite. 5:04 time for me.

Run: a 4 lap flat run along the river, with bridges to cross at either end which is pretty much the only inclines you'll come across. Excellent aid stations with loads of water/sponges/ice, couldn't fault it. as is was so hot loads of spectators were out, a few sun bathing and a bit of a carnival atmosphere - great experience. 4:16 for me.

Finish: at the end of the 4th lap, simply turn right, up the red carpet for 200m and aross the line: cheerleaders and everything. Total time 10.56.

couldn't fault the race or organisation in anyway: they were very well prepared for the heat (guess they learnt from 2015). having done this twice it really is very easy to go to from the uk and runs like clockwork -well recommended.

if you want any other info just ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: