Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Back to run training after knee injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds really familiar. I didn't run at all for 6 weeks, I started running on a grass track 2 weeks ago, but not done anything on the treadmill.

I am icing after run, but not had any swelling

I can't imagine running off the bike at the moment - my knee is fine when I am riding, however, when I get off the bike it is stiff. At some point I am going to need to do some brick sessions to work out a strategy, e.g do I start off walking until the stiffness goes?
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done no running for 6 weeks now, and only about 30 miles if that in the last 12.

My injuries do feel like they are healing and I'm hoping the physio will say I can start some jogging when I see him on the 24th.

Just got to the point now where I might as well wait until I can run injury free.

Hope you get back soon.

Jeff
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knee has been slowly recovering for the past 8 weeks, and I am gradually getting back into running

Yesterday I bought a foam roller, used it in the afternoon, and instantly I was able to walk without any limp at all

Used it again this morning, all pain in my knee has vanished, for the first time in months it feels 100% normal

Pure coincidence? was the foam roller all that was needed to iron out a few niggles? Have I been stuggling with a slow recovery, when something this simple could have made all the difference weeks ago?

I feeling really pleased, however, slightly frustrated that I should have been doing this weeks ago
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have held my max distance at 5k now for 2 weeks, although took a week off due to work and weekend away with family. Speed for 5k now around 27 mins.

I am running more evenly on left and right leg, but notices that my right (with knee injury) I am running off my toes much more than on my left foot

4 weeks to go to Vichy, beginning to feel more confident, my run fitness is awful but I am not ready to put distance in.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I have held my max distance at 5k now for 2 weeks, although took a week off due to work and weekend away with family. Speed for 5k now around 27 mins.

I am running more evenly on left and right leg, but notices that my right (with knee injury) I am running off my toes much more than on my left foot

4 weeks to go to Vichy, beginning to feel more confident, my run fitness is awful but I am not ready to put distance in.

define "off your toes"

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my most encouraging run since my injury struck in early April.

Had a 25 mile time trial (54:01) early am, then a 8 mile local running race later in the morning - ran at a steady 7:15 a mile and felt really comfortable and much stronger/more stable through the knee. Able to push on with final miles of 6:46 and 6:28.

Delighted compared to the struggles over the last couple of months, run fitness still massively hit but hoping I can drop the hammer from now to salvage something from the season.

Oi knee, do one....
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

define "off your toes"

Previously I ran with a slight tendency to heal strike, although I have been trying to shift more to a mid foot. When I started running again after knee injury, I was coming down on the ball of my right foot. It is much less pronounced now, with more of a mid foot strike, with a slight tendency towards the front. My L/R balance running is pretty good at 50.3% right 49.7% left, I am sticking to 180 SPM cadence

3 weeks back into running, and each run is improving; I am sticking to 5k-6k runs every other day, but getting quicker. I am running comfortably at 5:15/km pace. My run yesterday was the first time that I didn't feel that I was nursing an injury and felt that I could have continued running much longer

Plan is now to build distance, planning to do a slow 10k this week to see how knee feels
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

define "off your toes"

Previously I ran with a slight tendency to heal strike, although I have been trying to shift more to a mid foot. When I started running again after knee injury, I was coming down on the ball of my right foot. It is much less pronounced now, with more of a mid foot strike, with a slight tendency towards the front. My L/R balance running is pretty good at 50.3% right 49.7% left, I am sticking to 180 SPM cadence

3 weeks back into running, and each run is improving; I am sticking to 5k-6k runs every other day, but getting quicker. I am running comfortably at 5:15/km pace. My run yesterday was the first time that I didn't feel that I was nursing an injury and felt that I could have continued running much longer

Plan is now to build distance, planning to do a slow 10k this week to see how knee feels

lower leg attitude and foot positioning is key - good luck, but be patient...

mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

define "off your toes"

every time I go for a run, I am thinking EJC would tell me that I am pushing too hard, too fast - Probably the biggest reason why I have been taking it much more cautiously than I would have done otherwise
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running 10k now - no problems at all from knee, however, running so slowly - in April I was running this 10k route in 53mins @ 138bpm, currently running in 58mins @ 156 bpm

It is good that my knee is feeling OK, I now need to improve my run fitness. I am not worried about the pace, however, not sure why my heart rate is so much higher. Biggest change is my stride length, previously it was 118cm currently 98cm
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

define "off your toes"

every time I go for a run, I am thinking EJC would tell me that I am pushing too hard, too fast - Probably the biggest reason why I have been taking it much more cautiously than I would have done otherwise

as you should...well done Smile

explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Running 10k now - no problems at all from knee, however, running so slowly - in April I was running this 10k route in 53mins @ 138bpm, currently running in 58mins @ 156 bpm

It is good that my knee is feeling OK, I now need to improve my run fitness. I am not worried about the pace, however, not sure why my heart rate is so much higher. Biggest change is my stride length, previously it was 118cm currently 98cm

tight hip flexors? reduced core stability? lower leg recovery?

mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is lower leg recovery?

Hip Flexors are definitely tight
Core Stability is fine
Really feeling the burn in my quads
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is lower leg recovery?

Hip Flexors are definitely tight
Core Stability is fine
Really feeling the burn in my quads

Lower leg recovery is the swing phase of the leg from toe off to foot-strike. Higher leg recovery reduces the load on your hip flexors in bringing the leg forward

Have you changed your bike set up or training intensity?

mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Lower leg recovery is the swing phase of the leg from toe off to foot-strike. Higher leg recovery reduces the load on your hip flexors in bringing the leg forward

Have you changed your bike set up or training intensity?

I have not changed the bike setup, however, my training intensity has reduced significantly. Running made up about 60% of my training, because I have not been able to run for 2+ months I found it really difficult to substitute with the bike, in addition preparing to relocate to Switzerland has zapped a whole load of my time

Had a much better run today, same 10k course, 3 minutes quicker at 55mins, HR slightly lower at 152BPM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: