Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Starting again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Starting again Reply with quote

I havenít trained properly for about 18 months or so (birth of my first kid). Prior to that I wasnít in bad shape, I was running a half mara in around 1:35. Spent a week cycling in the Alps doing some major climbing. Was around 2:30 for a standard distance tri and a little over 5 hours for a middle. So I would say fit but not particularly fast. I spent most of 2016 just ticking over really, but my volume was way way down, and mostly done in blocks. No structure. I would just go for a run or a cafť ride with my mates. No swimming at all. This year has been worse though. Combination of my daughter being a bit more ďintensiveĒ and also picking up every bug known to mankind since she started nursery.

So my aim is to do the Edinburgh 70.3 next year, with a few training races on the way. Iím thinking:

New Years day tri (sprint)
Trail Half Mara (Feb/ March)
Edinburgh half Mara (May)

Iíll try and find a couple of other tris to do as well.

Iím sort of at that frustrating stage where I know I need to build up the volume/ intensity/ frequency slowly, but I find it hard not to over exert myself. I have a history of over training and making myself ill.

So the question is, what is the best way to build up my fitness? My plan is to start with frequency, just try and train 6 days a week, no intensity. Do that for a couple of months and then up the volume. Ideally so Iím cycling 100k by the end of the year ,running 15k and swimming 2k per session. Then in the new year start to put in the intensity and up the distances a bit.

Just looking for some thoughts. I almost feel like I need to approach this as a complete beginner again.

So many races so little time.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would just keep it simple for now; just SBR regularly, enjoy it and slowly increase distance or intensity. Then come NY you can up the ante.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: