Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A38 to Exeter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AthletesFoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: A38 to Exeter Reply with quote

Hi, I am cycling from Plymouth north on the A38, does anyone know if it has a hard shoulder as it looks pretty busy!

i am on my final stretch of cycling around the world and dont want to get crushed 300K from home !!
MrTim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sign of a hard shoulder on most of the bits I looked at on Google Steetview. There appears to be about a foot or so between the white line marking the edge of the carriageway and where the tarmac stops most of the time, but a in a few sections there's no option but to be on the road proper.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a horrible road to cycle, you would be much better off cycling through Dartmore, through Princetown and Mortonhampstead, I don't think that it is further, but it is certainly a bit hillier
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are sections with a cyclepath/footpath but they are very limited. I would not ride down/up that road if my life depended on it, it is a horrible road! There are always accidents on tjhat stretch, particularly around Haldon/Telegraph hill and it is always busy.

As Matt said, get off the main road and head through Dartmoor. Bit hillier, but lovely and scenic.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cyclist was hit from behind and killed near Lee Mill on the A38 in recent years.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have ridden on some pretty gnarly roads, round the world. The a38 Devon expressway will be right up there with the best of them. Wouldnt catch me on that road without a metal shell. I once rode from Plymouth to Torquay via totnes, that was ok, and from totnes you could ride Newton abbot , teignmouth ,Exeter, all pleasant roads with less 70mph frogger scenario potential?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went out with Plymouth Corinthians as a teenager, they often did sections of the A38; it was way quieter back then, and of course, most importantly.... no mobile phones to distract people.
AthletesFoot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will take the scenic route. Strangely, I seem to get more twichy on busy roads recently. having ridden with the indypac and transam racers on my journey, sadly in each race someone died, it makes even more worried about traffic, which is crazy after navigating places like Istanbul and Mumbai, that make London seem like a country village!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: