Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Kids seats on bikes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Kids seats on bikes Reply with quote

Any tips or recommendations on a kids seat for my 18 month old daughter? It will go on my on one fixed pompino (I'm thinking of going single speed and changing the gearing)

It wont be used for long distances, just the mile and a bit to and from nursery a couple of times a week.

I've been doing a bit of research and they seem to range in price for 40 to over 200. Obviously I want something safe but is it worth the extra money? It also need to be relatively easy to take off so I can leave it in the buggy park at nursery.

Also how do people carry stuff with a kid in the seat? I normally use a messenger bag, but am worried it might hit against her.

So many races so little time.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a yepp seat like this and it has been brilliant.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/child-bike-seats/front-mounted-child-bike-seats/thule-yepp-mini-_-12020105

**edit** Just realised that it wasn't owned by Thule when we bought it a year or so ago. Looks like Thule have acquired Yepp for the latest versions, though the one in the link looks very similar to the one we have. I cna't imagine the addition of Thule's experience and technology would have any adverse effects on the seat. http://www.thulegroup.com/en/content/thule-group-has-acquired-leading-dutch-childbikeseat-company-gmg-bv

Little one loves it, likes the fact that she can see where we're going (as opposed ot the rear ones), solidly made and has a keylock to take the seat on and off.

I just wear a rucksack for my stuff, which isn't a probelm as the seat is on the front.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another supporter of front mounted seats, I had a dutch one, that came with a detachable screen

If/when you child falls asleep in the seat, they can rest their head on your arm, rather than lolling forward and sideways in the rear mounted seat, you can also keep an eye on them and have more of a conversation with them in the forward mounted seat

The only limitation is that kids grow out of them faster than rear mounted seats
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a trailer for my little one since he was 9 months old, and he is now almost 5, plenty of room for him as well as bags & stuff Smile
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if you need to move the seat between bikes. We had to (leaving the seat at the child minder so one could drop and another pick up).

The choice then for me was the Hamax Siesta with a Hamax pannier rack. Slides on/off really easily (when not locked). Looks like the Hamax range has changed since then though.

But yes, Hamax is more expensive but it really does work.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think I am going to go with a front mounted one, either the Yepp Mini or a Wee ride. Next question is, do I need to change my handle bars? I have drops on mine, so can see this being a bit cramped

So many races so little time.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yepp clips onto your stem, so that may be the limiter. I only had it on my MTB, but had to remove all of the spacers to get it to fit, and it isn't 100% perfect, but plenty safe enough.

I don't think it would fit my roadbike, though i didn't ever try and am not in the slightest mechanically minded, so will actively avoid anything even remotely difficult (aka simple for normal people)!
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a rear mounted seat for my daughter when she was younger. Now I would buy the seat Gingerbono suggests. Whilst she really enjoyed being on the bike it often made chatting difficult, front mounted would allow for much more interaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: