Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wetsuits - how long does yours last?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Wetsuits, how long do yours last?
1-3 years
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
3-6 years
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
6+ years
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 27

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:

Replaced it with another made to measure Snugg. This is noticably thinner and more flexible and I did rip the arm before I'd got used to this. Had it repared by Snugg when the zip also broke (black witch had worked to an extent but I thought I might as well get it fixed properly since there was an opportunity).
Can't imagine I'll replace it in the the next 10 years Smile

The elastic qualities of rubber will degrade over time I guess, so that's the difference between new & old. Storage also has an affect on longevity and pliability too.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in April I bought a FOOR Quantum full sleeve. Tried it in the endless pool at tri uk and didn't touch it until 10 days ago where i used it at Eastleigh Lake. It was relatively entry level, I think £230 but I was really impressed with the flexibility and lack of chaffing, even at that price and that was with a sleeved tri suit underneath.

Not sure how long it will last, longer than me at this rate Very Happy
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Cobbie wrote:

Replaced it with another made to measure Snugg. This is noticably thinner and more flexible and I did rip the arm before I'd got used to this. Had it repared by Snugg when the zip also broke (black witch had worked to an extent but I thought I might as well get it fixed properly since there was an opportunity).
Can't imagine I'll replace it in the the next 10 years Smile

The elastic qualities of rubber will degrade over time I guess, so that's the difference between new & old. Storage also has an affect on longevity and pliability too.

Not seen anything and suit is now 6 years old. Keep in in a dark bedding box, rolled up over the winter so maybe absence of sunlight helps.
I swim less that I used to so that probably contibutes too Smile
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snugg from circa 2002 - still use it for OW training and for use in the Endless Pool in the winter (I dont heat it up too much in winter)

2XU X1 - Purchased 2012 and has done me well for 20+ Ironmans but it finally got retired in 2016 - too many rips and tears. More Black witch than neoprene!

Now got a Huub - purchased in 2016. So far so good.
Race1+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my Huub. I soaked it for an hour or so, hung it up and let it air dry.

Then used it last Wednesday (Shepperton Very Happy )

Noticed a few little nicks, but after another use Sunday, I've had a proper inspection. quite a few nicks, marks and rather worryingly a hole under the right armpit! Tried a couple with black witch, but not really happy with my efforts Laughing

I have a race Saturday and then I'll be giving a call to Huub see about getting some repairs done. It's obviously way out of warranty Think its a 2014, and in fairness it's possibly my fault anyway.

I do love the suit, but it's quite fragile. As others have said my old beginner BlueSeventy is bombproof
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
my new Huub (Arch 3:5) is not lasting well at all
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Davem wrote:

ditto

I won,t buy another huub ,back to orca for me IF I need a new one
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Davem wrote:

Out of interest, in what way? When I bought mine, I absolutely loved it (still do), but immediately realised it was super super fragile. Hence got another cheaper model for training in. The cheaper Aegis II is itself so much better than my old 2XU R2, and only cost me £125.

Got a bargain deal on both, so combined they were still less than the normal selling price of the Archimedes, let alone RRP.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hole in the gussett. And all the pinches. Feels nice to wear tho. only used it for racing Wink
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Race1+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
Davem wrote:

ditto

I won,t buy another huub ,back to orca for me IF I need a new one

TBH I'd probably not buy another Huub and would possibly be looking at a BlueSeventy Helix or a 2XU Propel

When Huub started out, I liked the product (particularly the release panels on biceps and calves) and it was cool to support a fledgling British brand also worn by the Brownlees.

But they never reply on Twitter or emails to customer services. (I emailed asking if they offer a repair service or can recommend someone) Whereas both brands mentioned above have replied to me in the past.

IMO They've forgotten that it's the consumers that keep them in business and are too fixated on telling everyone how they are leading the way or doing celebrity stuff with Dave Scott (who never actually raced with them so there's no legacy aspect going on) The fact that posters on here are unimpressed is perhaps a reflection of the wider Tri user.
Aldo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other half’s top of the range Huub wetsuit was new this season and has basically fallen apart under the armpits. On speaking with Huub it seems that they will replace it so we have sent it back but their turnaround is 5 to 10 days for dealing with it. We have a race coming up and that isn’t really good enough. I sent the suit back special delivery, they know the urgency of the situation and so I see no reason why they couldn’t look out for it and deal with it asap. Good customer service costs nothing. But it doesn’t look like they have bothered to do this as we still haven’t heard back from them.

As it is she’ll be racing in her old suit and tbh neither of us would buy Huub suits again. Far too delicate. My old Orca, whilst being a cheaper less flexible suit, is basically pristine after several seasons of use
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a HUUB wetsuit and was almost afraid to take it off, it was very delicate (or felt that way). I haven't seen a positive review of the HUUB Dave Scott Long Course or whatever it's called, yet.

Very happy with my FOOR wetsuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: