Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sussex Middle Distance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Sussex Middle Distance Reply with quote

Anyone done the Sussex Middle Distance tri? [http://www.sussextriathlon.co.uk/]

I need a replacement tri towards end of season after having to drop out of my next couple of races thanks to my stupid toe injury.

Looks like the bike course is some way short of 90km, they advertise it at 80 but when I ran it though MapMyRun to create a BBS course it came out at just over 77. It looks quite brutal though, 1100m of elevation over that 77km. Run course is a km short also.

Bloody cheap though, 72+active fee. I looked at the Hever Castle Gauntlet also and they want 220 Shocked
Whitters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it 3 years ago, it's not easy. The bike is 4 hilly laps on crap roads and the run course is off-road, has a steep hill, and is also 4 laps. I cramped pretty early on and had to walk that hill 4 times. Pretty well organised as far as I can remember but yes, it was all short - bike 78km, run 18.75 and the swim was definitely short too.

Last edited by Whitters on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bespoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 laps of 20km shows severe lack of imagination
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitters wrote:
I did it 3 years ago, it's not easy. The bike is 4 hilly laps on crap roads and the run course is off-road, has a steep hill, and is also 4 laps. I cramped pretty early on and had to walk that hill 4 times. Pretty well organised as far as I can remember but yes, it was all short - bike 78km, run 18.75 and the swim was definitely short too.

Ta. Should definitely be able to get a sub 5 then if its all short! Maybe not with that amount of climbing.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bespoke wrote:
4 laps of 20km shows severe lack of imagination

or as a Londoner you don't know the local roads Wink
bespoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I cycle around there quite a bit and there are some cracking roads there
Hence why a bigger 2x lap course would be much better than the hamster wheel....
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably 4 smaller laps is one way to keep the costs under control. Less roads/junctions to marshal/police, aid stations can be at the start/finish, less local residents to annoy.

--
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Presumably 4 smaller laps is one way to keep the costs under control. Less roads/junctions to marshal/police, aid stations can be at the start/finish, less local residents to annoy.

--

Yes I am guessing this is the reason. 4x20Km is not very exciting but at less than 80 for a (almost) half iron can't really complain.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitters wrote:

You weren't wrong about it being hard. Bloody hell. I rode the wrong bike for a start, would have been much easier on a roadie I think. Especially on the descents which are technical. They had resurfaced it but they cheap way of spraying sticky stuff and dumping lose chipping on top. Still quite lose in places.

I have put on a lot of weight recently and the bike course did me in. I burnt too many matches hauling my fat arse up the hills. 1.3Km of climbing I logged, 350m on the run.

I was spent by the 2nd run lap. Muscular fatigue. Energy wise I felt ok, and HR was in check but my muscles just wouldn't fire. I Run/Walked it.

Weather was perfect, caught my out a bit though I got a little dehydrated. On the run was grabbing 2-3 cups of water at a time. The run was muddy too and a lot of people went arse over tit.

Swim was cold. Annoyingly I got out the water in about 5th. I get really dizzy after swimming and had to walk to transition which was quite far and 4 people ran past me!
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Whitters wrote:

You weren't wrong about it being hard. Bloody hell. I rode the wrong bike for a start, would have been much easier on a roadie I think. Especially on the descents which are technical. They had resurfaced it but they cheap way of spraying sticky stuff and dumping lose chipping on top. Still quite lose in places.

those roads are good at catching out the unwary! a lot of people think the South East is flat - and then they discover the Sussex Weald which is NOT flat at all. I've cycled around that area a lot as I've lived in the area for many years so can sympathise with you! I could point you at lots of local hills with 15%+ climbs - one or 2 at 20% and one at least at 25%. anyway - well done on finishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: