Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Talk to me about IM Staffs and Outlaw half

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Talk to me about IM Staffs and Outlaw half Reply with quote

So after a year out (new baby) I'm looking to hit a couple of halves again next year. So far have Grafman, Vitruvian and Exmoor done. I know there's lots out there, but am looking at these two (Staffs and Outlaw half - Notts) for two reasons. Firstly, I like the buzz of a larger event (as long as it's not crazy congested on the bike) and secondly I quite fancy a fast and flat race to have a go at.

So any views on either? The good, the bad and the ugly? I've read the threads for the races on here, but after comparison views a bit more (these to each other, or to others).
blindcider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staffs is changing location so maybe wait and see what the new location is like.
Cen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I saw that. Looks like the location's remaining roughly the same but the run will move to nearby (I'm taking that based on some random articles and the swim course being published but the others not, although could be wrong!). Keeping an eye on it.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Staffs (biased as it was my first and fastest result), good support from the crowds, decent route, the swim was clear water too. It's a shame the run route is changing as that was quite picturesque.

Having done two other 70.3s, Exmoor and Pays D'Aix, I'd definitely enjoy Staffs after Exmoor, even if it is less picturesque.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
burning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staffs is a really nice course. But you need to take into account the split transition. We weren't staying close to the venue and with transitions setup, travel, walks, ironkids under the sun etc.... I was cooked on Saturday night before the race!
blindcider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I spent all Saturday rushing around trying to get everything sorted. It wasn't quite the relaxing day you would like.

Having done the Outlaw Full assuming the same set-up for the half, the logistics for the half should be a doddle if that is important to you.
Cen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Yep, logistics will matter. If it's set up that's fine as I can do it on my own the day before, but on the day faff (whether set-up or post event) more challenging.
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, Outlaw half will sell out in a couple of minutes.
Cen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I knew it was fast but didn't realise it was that quick. I'm down to get the notification - do you know if they normally tell you ahead of time the exact release date? Presumably so if it goes that fast?
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cen wrote:
Wow. I knew it was fast but didn't realise it was that quick. I'm down to get the notification - do you know if they normally tell you ahead of time the exact release date? Presumably so if it goes that fast?

Yes, they will send out a link a few days before general entry. Logistics are a doddle, good course, does get busy on the out and back section of the run. OSB book out the camp site at HPP, which is literally across the road from transition
Cen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
Yes, they will send out a link a few days before general entry. Logistics are a doddle, good course, does get busy on the out and back section of the run. OSB book out the camp site at HPP, which is literally across the road from transition

Great, thanks. Not too far from inlaws (appropriately) so accommodation is easy but will be sure to keep an eye for the registration email then sit nervously on the button.
Cen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gawd dammit. missed the pre-reg email and having just checked and outlaw Notts has clearly gone on sale and ofcourse sold old. Staffs new course it is then!
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we know date and venue for new staffs 70.3 2018 yet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: