Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Clever people: Routers for BT Infinity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Clever people: Routers for BT Infinity Reply with quote

I have an old BT Home Hub 4 (I think).

My Network Attached Storage (Seagate) packed in recently and I've tried to replace it, firstly with a WD Cloud thingy which didn't work (Explorer couldn't see it, although the Network could see it as 'storage'), so replaced with another Seagate... which is just not being seen whatsoever.

So, I decided about time to replace the old router/modem to eliminate that variable from the equation.

Anyone any recommendations for a decent router/modem that will work with BT's Infinity? We stream a lot (both internet and DLNA from the NAS) with our smart TV's as well as a few tablets/laptops in the house.

I've discovered not all modem/routers are compatible (fancy that) so I've suddenly had to learn about VDSL and IPv6 and other weird stuff I never thought I should ever know, which for a layman like me is giving me palpitations.

It would appear this should do the trick - any thoughts?

Heeeeeelp!!!

My 15 minutes of fame
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Airport Extreme and hang either a NAS or a hard drive off the USB port on the back, to give you a network accessible drive.
Ballibeg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for a BT modem inline with an Asus N66U which handles the modem login and the network. They'll newer routers from Asus, mines 3 years old and going strong.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you could spend money on a decent router, would it not be easier to just go to the latest BT Hub. They are supposed to be pretty decent.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the BT Homehub 5 and it's a much better piece of kit compared to the 4. if I was going for different router however, I'd probably go with a Draytek one - been using them at the office for years and they are robust and work solidly.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
If I was going for different router however, I'd probably go with a Draytek one - been using them at the office for years and they are robust and work solidly.

I have a Drayek router from about 2001 which is still going strong - it was used for my first BB connection as I had shotgunned iSDN connections as BB wasn't available at the time so I bought a router which could do both.

Its on its second power supply I recall, but the actual device is still rock solid.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
If I was going for different router however, I'd probably go with a Draytek one - been using them at the office for years and they are robust and work solidly.

I have a Drayek router from about 2001 which is still going strong - it was used for my first BB connection as I had shotgunned iSDN connections as BB wasn't available at the time so I bought a router which could do both.

Its on its second power supply I recall, but the actual device is still rock solid.

we've had a few over the years - often ran 2 on separate BB lines - upgrading as new ones came along. only one gave up the ghost - seemed to be OK with all lights working etc but it just would not stay stable, so I think something on the board went uptits.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new BT hub 5 has been really good for me and is a considerable improvement on the last one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: