Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hal Higdon Training Plans

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Hal Higdon Training Plans Reply with quote

Now that I'm switching from tri training to half marathon; putting the bike firmly on hold, I may swap a swim in for an easy run occasionally.

I took the Hal Higdon plan and converted it to 10 weeks (Royal Parks Half is the target on 8th October) and started on Monday.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-Program

I'm a bit confused as to the target paces for the different runs and what I could reasonable get to for the half in 10 weeks. My current run times are;
5km - 21min
10km - 43.30
Half - ???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrace




Joined: 28 Apr 2010
Posts: 2517
Location: Eating a Yorkie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:35:53

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/rws-race-time-predictor

(There's a load of run time predictors online - have a browse)
_________________
Where the mind goes the body follows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hal Higdon Training Plans Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Now that I'm switching from tri training to half marathon; putting the bike firmly on hold, I may swap a swim in for an easy run occasionally.

I took the Hal Higdon plan and converted it to 10 weeks (Royal Parks Half is the target on 8th October) and started on Monday.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-Program

I'm a bit confused as to the target paces for the different runs and what I could reasonable get to for the half in 10 weeks. My current run times are;
5km - 21min
10km - 43.30
Half - ???


no recovery week in 3 months???
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Roscoemck




Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 213
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
1:35:53

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/rws-race-time-predictor

(There's a load of run time predictors online - have a browse)


Mmmm, that's predicting I'll do the Glasgow half in 1:42. Bit ambitious I think.

Current pb 5k is 22.16 and 10k is 46.3. My 10 mile run on Saturday was 88 minutes and that felt fairly tough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hal Higdon Training Plans Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
Now that I'm switching from tri training to half marathon; putting the bike firmly on hold, I may swap a swim in for an easy run occasionally.

I took the Hal Higdon plan and converted it to 10 weeks (Royal Parks Half is the target on 8th October) and started on Monday.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-Program

I'm a bit confused as to the target paces for the different runs and what I could reasonable get to for the half in 10 weeks. My current run times are;
5km - 21min
10km - 43.30
Half - ???


no recovery week in 3 months???


Based on a 6 day a week, with 2 quality sessions and 1 long run, what should a recovery week look like? I'd like to build at least 2 easier weeks into the plan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
1:35:53

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/rws-race-time-predictor

(There's a load of run time predictors online - have a browse)


A 1:35 would be a great target to aim for. A lot more distance work needed to get close I think. Just ran a 1:35 long run totalling 18.5km.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hal Higdon Training Plans Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
Now that I'm switching from tri training to half marathon; putting the bike firmly on hold, I may swap a swim in for an easy run occasionally.

I took the Hal Higdon plan and converted it to 10 weeks (Royal Parks Half is the target on 8th October) and started on Monday.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-Program

I'm a bit confused as to the target paces for the different runs and what I could reasonable get to for the half in 10 weeks. My current run times are;
5km - 21min
10km - 43.30
Half - ???


no recovery week in 3 months???


Based on a 6 day a week, with 2 quality sessions and 1 long run, what should a recovery week look like? I'd like to build at least 2 easier weeks into the plan.


easier, shorter, slower...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chrace




Joined: 28 Apr 2010
Posts: 2517
Location: Eating a Yorkie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Chrace wrote:
1:35:53

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/rws-race-time-predictor

(There's a load of run time predictors online - have a browse)


A 1:35 would be a great target to aim for. A lot more distance work needed to get close I think. Just ran a 1:35 long run totalling 18.5km.

I find I fade more over distance than most of the predictors assume. They work well as a guide though, but adjust to your expectations.
_________________
Where the mind goes the body follows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whitters




Joined: 30 Mar 2015
Posts: 27
Location: Kent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your times are a weeny bit slower for 5km and 10km than mine - for me that turned into 1:34:57 at Fleet a few years back so I'd say 1:35 is a great target.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hal Higdon Training Plans Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:


easier, shorter, slower...


Anything more specific? How much easier / shorter / slower?

Still run 6 days with the same sessions just less, or switch to fewer days?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitters wrote:
Your times are a weeny bit slower for 5km and 10km than mine - for me that turned into 1:34:57 at Fleet a few years back so I'd say 1:35 is a great target.


I'm excited to see what a good block of run only training can do for my run fitness compared to multi-sports.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hal Higdon Training Plans Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:


easier, shorter, slower...


Anything more specific? How much easier / shorter / slower?

Still run 6 days with the same sessions just less, or switch to fewer days?


That really depends on how fit you are and where you are in your programme
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.