Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Backing up our home data storage (NAS) - Cloud storage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Backing up our home data storage (NAS) - Cloud storage? Reply with quote

We've put our whole life onto a home server (Seagate 2Tb), Network Attached Storage.

Realising we're now vulnerable to potentially lose everything in the event of failure, we need to back-up our back-up!

I was planning on just buying another NAS and copying over 1Tb of photos/videos etc. across, but ideally could do with something that does all the syncing automatically as we upload photos and things.

Asking in PC World, the young lad suggested, instead, that cloud back-up was far better for all the obvious reasons. Although I'm a little nervous about putting my life on the cloud and potentially open to anyone bored enough, or a nosy Government (Sloggers?!) sneaking a peak, it does make some sense.

PC World offer 2Tb at 60 for 5 years, which seems a reasonable deal.

Anyone any advice/alternatives/suggestions?

Thanks.

My 15 minutes of fame
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
AndyS..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use the cloud. Just because you're storing it on someone else's machine and it's out of your control as to what happens with it. I'd get another NAS. I have two, one is on the shelf above the PC in plain sight and the other is hidden in the cupboard under the stairs. Both are RAID.

I read a report from Google about hard drives, it basically said they either fail when they're almost new or last a very long time indeed. It's laptop HD's that fail because of the bashing they take.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS.. wrote:
I wouldn't use the cloud. Just because you're storing it on someone else's machine and it's out of your control as to what happens with it. I'd get another NAS. I have two, one is on the shelf above the PC in plain sight and the other is hidden in the cupboard under the stairs. Both are RAID.

Both are lost in a fire
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have your local seagate as your backup, and cloud storage as your online.

Cloud benefits are primarily around availability.

I would also add an archiving device.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloud backups take way too long at home. I have one NAS and two small portable HDDs which live in the safe and are backups every few months or do.
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Cloud backups take way too long at home. I have one NAS and two small portable HDDs which live in the safe and are backups every few months or do.

If you have a trusted relative with a decent internet connection you could ask them to host a NAS drive for you? Password protect it (obviously) and you have a simple and cheap offsite backup. You could host one for them in return.

The key bit about using cloud is that it is offsite, i.e. if your house burns down/floods it doesn't matter how many copies of the data you have, if they're all in your house you could lost the lot.
user134098

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data syncs are incremental by nature - you take a few photos with your camera or you update only one Word doc at a time. It's absolutely fine to sync to the cloud day-to-day, although the initial push can take a while.

I've stopped doing machine backups. All the data is on the cloud and if my machine fails catastrophically it's less trouble to reinstall on a new HD or new machine, than it is to manage machine backups.
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:

Well, after a right ol' sequence of events.... it's this.

Our NAS failed a month ago. I didn't bother with cloud storage and had (thank God) backed up to an HDD. Replaced Seagate NAS with a WD, which didn't work at all, so replaced again with another Seagate.

I don't need 'live back-up, syncing' etc.. I just need our whole life just backed-up somewhere in case of catastrophic failure that I can back-up, say, every 6 months or so. Can live with losing 6 months of photos, music etc..

I started investigating cloud storage again a few days ago and decided I'd opt for Microsoft's Onedrive. I thought I'd test it first though.

Here I am 3 days later and it's only uploaded 2.6Gb out of 150Gb. It appears I'm not the only one with this issue, with loads of people giving up and trying other providers.

Dropbox, Box etc. are going to be 80+ pa...

So to hell with it all, as per Graham's suggestion above which does seem to be the best one practically for us, I'm buying a 2nd back-up HDD and keeping one at the in-laws, and one at work.

Just in case anyone was interested Very Happy

My 15 minutes of fame
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I ask if your NAS was in stripe mode or redundant mode ?

I am guessing the former, so one drive failure killed your NAS ?

I've just bought a 4Tb drive (8Tb redundant) as the media is getting out of hand and I have four other hard drives backing things up and its a right pain.

The silly thing is that its really only the photos that matter as all the DVD's & BluRays I have in the UK and they can be recopied, and anything else could just be downloaded again.
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Dare I ask if your NAS was in stripe mode or redundant mode ?

I am guessing the former, so one drive failure killed your NAS ?

I've just bought a 4Tb drive (8Tb redundant) as the media is getting out of hand and I have four other hard drives backing things up and its a right pain.

The silly thing is that its really only the photos that matter as all the DVD's & BluRays I have in the UK and they can be recopied, and anything else could just be downloaded again.

Ah.... I have no idea. Terms that haven't featured yet in my research!

But yes, the result was failure of the NAS killed what I assume was a single-drive unit (it definitely wasn't RAID etc)... hence the need for the external HDD back-up as the 'just in case' - which, as it turned out, saved our skin.

Like you, I only really care about photos and home videos, totalling around 300Gb. The remainder (taking total up to just under 1Tb) are DVD's I burned before giving the originals away to a charity shop - I know I'll probably never watch again so no disaster if they're lost (other than a handful of kids DVD's that currently get regular use).

I also have about 30Gb of music which, I realised the other day, I probably only ever listen to 10% of.

It's an interesting human pattern I've noticed - like many, I used to accumulate (with pride) shelf-fulls of hundreds of VHS videos, but never watched them more than once, ending up binning them. Did exactly the same with DVD's. And now I'm doing the same with digital versions... At least the storage is cheaper!

My 15 minutes of fame
caesar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Synology NAS that has an app which allows you to automatically backup specified NAS directories to Amazon Glacier. Don't know exactly how much data I've sent up there, probably between 100 and 200GB, but it costs less than 1 a month for storage and to do the incremental backups, and would have been less if I had bothered to zip the files before transfer.

The expensive actions on Glacier are retrieval but if you need to do that, I doubt you would be too worried about it costing a few quid!
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:

I also have about 30Gb of music which, I realised the other day, I probably only ever listen to 10% of.

It's an interesting human pattern I've noticed - like many, I used to accumulate (with pride) shelf-fulls of hundreds of VHS videos, but never watched them more than once, ending up binning them. Did exactly the same with DVD's. And now I'm doing the same with digital versions... At least the storage is cheaper!

I am starting to go the other way, and not own any media, apart from a few vinyl records we cot rid of our music collection a few years go. Like wise books, expect for a some photography books which I used to collect.

Theses days we use apple music, kindle and TV apps.

I think it's a male thing, wanting to collect stuff

So many races so little time.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:

The solution I came up with is to put the car usic system on 'track' setting, alphabetical order and just let it play. I've been once through the entire collection and have reached the letter B again, having listened to everything. The choice sometimes skips a bit from rock to classic to goth but it stops you getting bored !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: