Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Latest Arch 2 Arc ends in tragedy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cen wrote:
Whisk wrote:
I guess an Arch 2 Arc attempt is higher risk than a "regular" Channel swim because of the fatigue that the athlete is carrying at the start of the swim. It sounds like he finished his 87 mile run in the evening and then started his swim early the next morning. I thought there was usually a bit more of a lay-over before starting the swim, but I guess if the weather window is right then you have to go.

Very sad news. RIP.

I got the impression that there was a limit for how long a rest could be taken between each stage. In the film of John van Wisse's record breaking run it was mentioned as 12hrs between swim and bike(https://vimeo.com/113491266). I was watching it last night randomly (hadn't seen this sad news) and the state of John at the end of the swim leaves an impression. He was going full pelt, but none the less.

According to the rules on the Enduroman site (http://www.enduroman.com/#/arch-to-arc-rules/4583448716), you start the run 48 hours before your allocated swim time, so assuming that the weather holds and your swim start goes as planned, the lay-over before the swim is determined by how much of your 48 hours that you use for the run.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a wetsuit swim for A2A? I know to get 'in the books' it has to be speedos.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Is it a wetsuit swim for A2A? I know to get 'in the books' it has to be speedos.

It looks like wetsuits are optional. The website shows absolute records and non-wetsuit records. Interestingly, the swim splits for the non-wetsuit records are faster than for the absolute records, but I guess that probably reflects the swimming ability of the people who would choose to go non-wetsuit.
Cen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
According to the rules on the Enduroman site (http://www.enduroman.com/#/arch-to-arc-rules/4583448716), you start the run 48 hours before your allocated swim time, so assuming that the weather holds and your swim start goes as planned, the lay-over before the swim is determined by how much of your 48 hours that you use for the run.

Ah, ok. Hadn't looked there, although having read it now looks like it's "up to 48hours" before the swim. I guess if you start running the morning before the swim then it's less, and could be that you only get that much notice on the weather (in the documentary film they only seemed to be told about the swim window day before he started running - JvW started his run in the film the morning before his swim so 24/25hrs). Such a hard thing to do, and that's without being at the whim of the swim windows that look like they can open and close at pretty short notice.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cen wrote:
Whisk wrote:

Ah, ok. Hadn't looked there, although having read it now looks like it's "up to 48hours" before the swim. I guess if you start running the morning before the swim then it's less, and could be that you only get that much notice on the weather (in the documentary film they only seemed to be told about the swim window day before he started running - JvW started his run in the film the morning before his swim so 24/25hrs). Such a hard thing to do, and that's without being at the whim of the swim windows that look like they can open and close at pretty short notice.

It looks like the guy who holds the record only had about 6 hours between finishing the run and starting the swim, but other people had up to 5 days in between, presumably waiting for the weather to clear.
hillwall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did A2A I wasn't certain how long the run would take me and I guessed at 20 hours. I then planned a 12 hour rest and 2 hour contingency so I started the run 34 hours before my swim start time. I actually finished the run in 16:45 so had 17 hours rest before my swim.

Whilst I was tired from the run, I didn't feel too bad and swam fairly well. I struggled with the cold (12.5C on the day I went) and eventually stopped after 13 1/2 hours swimming due to the cold - I was about a mile from France. Strangely after I got out and warmed up I was fine and whilst not doing the bike (I didn't see the point having failed in the swim), we got on the ferry and then I drove back home afterwards. In retrospect I didn't need 17 hours after the run to be ready for the swim.

You are allowed to wear a wetsuit for A2A and almost everyone does for safety of buoyancy, speed of wearing a wetsuit and due to the additional warmth.

This was a terrible tragedy and I was shocked to hear of it. I do hope that Eddie continues with running A2A as it is an inspirational event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: