Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Is it possible to replice a course on a smart trainer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bezsimon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to replice a course on a smart trainer? Reply with quote

Hi all

I have an absolute basic model home trainer and was thinking about upgrading to a smart one - but given that I have a power meter on my bike I'm not really sure of the point.

Am I right in thinking the main reason to get a Smart trainer is to have power info and to link into an online trainer programme such as Zwift? I have the impression Zwift and such like are to alleviate boredom and those on a more unstructured plan - given I usually have set intervals planned or even deliberately want to go easy Z1 and Z2 stuff only - Im not sure what the benefits of these 3D training computer "games" would be? Please let me know if Im wrong.

However, one area I would love would be if its possible to get an online programme linked to a smart trainer to replicate a course? Has anyone got any positive experience of this - where you can ride a race course and the smart trainer simulates the hills and climbs as though you were riding the course? Ive only seen a few comments that in theory one or two trainers allow this but the reality is that the simulation is poor? Anyone beg to differ?

Thanks for the comments
Simon
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smart trainers are generally programmable for courses as well as providing appropriate data...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they should in theory all be able to do that. At least, any with FE-C as you can just download the strava course of someone who has already done the ride and replicate.

The other thing with smart trainers and structured workouts is erg mode. I have a dumb trainer, and so often find I'm in between gears at my preferred cadence for a set power level. In erg mode, the trainer will automatically adapt resistance to your target power regardless of cadence, so that problem goes away.
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacx TTS4 software does that. You need a Google licence as well. Downside TTS4 is a PITA. Other night I wasted half hour of training time trying to ride IM Wales video but it kept crashing. Ended up on Zwift. Had similar thing before and had to reinstall . The tacx videos are good if they have you chosen course

Zwift is good. Racing fun and plenty of variety in terrain to keep you interested .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: