Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tiredness from Swimming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Tiredness from Swimming Reply with quote

Of the 3 disciplines swimming is my strongest. However I am finding that swim sessions more than anything else take it out of me massively.

I swim, at the min, 2/3 times per week. Each session is set by my coach, and are 3-4km in length. Pace is set via CSS from a 200/400m TT. I increase or decrease the CSS pace on a session if I am feeling weak/strong

They don't feel particularly hard when I am doing them and generally I complete the session and maintain the pace. But a few hours later and for the rest of the day I feel knackered. A one hour swim tires me a lot more than a 2 hour run or 4 hour bike.

Anyone else get this? I get an aggravated nose and eyes from the chlorine and wonder if it might related to the chlorine irritation?
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, no not really.

It definitely does fatigue me to some extent, and for that reason if I have a midweek road race, I won't swim that day if I am trying for a time, but otherwise I don't really notice any impact on other sessions. I can however notice the lack of fatigue if I then do a similar session when I havent been swimming, but it's marginal, and it's not like I can't complete other sessions because of the swim fatigue.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only is swimming very energy intensive, the chemicals in the pool can restrict the lungs ability to take up oxygen...

..however, how do you fuel up for swimming and recover afterwards?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Swimming tires me out in a way that running and biking don't.

For me, long runs get my legs aching and although tired I often find sleeping difficult due to aches.

Cycling makes me knackered after a long ride, and I may fall asleep on the sofa afterwards but can generally manage OK for the day.

Long swims though make me really, really tired. I notice this much more after OW swims probably due to the additional cold but frequently after swimming I am shattered.

I also find doing lots of pressups makes me really tired. To the extent if I try to do them at lunchtime I feel like I need a nap in the afternoon.

So I concluded from my own n=1 that if I am using all my muscles I get more tired than using mostly my legs. Assuming that I'm pushing hard during whatever time I exercise.
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming is my weakest discipline & I try to focus on technique more that effort but a couple miles OW swim has very little effect on me afterwards. If I'm in the pool I usually do a 2K set and a don't feel that either. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough when swimming?
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you comparing like with like - do you do these sessions at the same time of day, or are your swims early morning but bike and run later in the day?
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
not only is swimming very energy intensive, the chemicals in the pool can restrict the lungs ability to take up oxygen...

And the chemicals in my pool are turned up to 11 due to the scummyness of it.

I swim early morning and don't like to swim with food in my stomach so I generally try and fuel up the day/night before with extra carbs at lunch and tea. After swim is my traditional nesquick and skimmed milk recovery drink. It doesn't feel like a lack of energy type tired, its a wiped out.

I did 10x400m this morning. Struggling to stay awake.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

And the chemicals in my pool are turned up to 11 due to the scummyness of it.

I swim early morning and don't like to swim with food in my stomach so I generally try and fuel up the day/night before with extra carbs at lunch and tea. After swim is my traditional nesquick and skimmed milk recovery drink. It doesn't feel like a lack of energy type tired, its a wiped out.

that's a long way to go on a children's party drink....get some food inside you!

Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

So you get up early in the morning and you do an intensive set of exercise, fasted. Then you drink a Nesquik to recover.

Imagine a GP jotting that down, as they nod sagely.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about tiredness but on a time basis, swimming makes me more hungry than the riding or running.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Not sure about tiredness but on a time basis, swimming makes me more hungry than the riding or running.

you are using a smaller muscle group with a differing balance of muscle fibres...

FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
FatPom wrote:

you are using a smaller muscle group with a differing balance of muscle fibres...

I think I'm using my pig out muscles quite a bit Cool
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming in the morning always makes me sleep as soon as I get home for about an hour - I always thought it was the heat and the chlorine of pools. Open water doesn't seem to have the same effect, but then I've rarely done that in he morning.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Whitters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog always gets much more tired from swimming than walking and running. 20 minutes swimming and you won't hear a peep from him for the rest of the day.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiredness from Swimming Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Of the 3 disciplines swimming is my strongest. However I am finding that swim sessions more than anything else take it out of me massively.

I swim, at the min, 2/3 times per week. Each session is set by my coach, and are 3-4km in length. Pace is set via CSS from a 200/400m TT. I increase or decrease the CSS pace on a session if I am feeling weak/strong

They don't feel particularly hard when I am doing them and generally I complete the session and maintain the pace. But a few hours later and for the rest of the day I feel knackered. A one hour swim tires me a lot more than a 2 hour run or 4 hour bike.

Anyone else get this?

Watching this thread with interest.
I had similar problems last time I ramped my training up (although I don't remember having the same problem a couple of years ago with an identical programme)
My swim sets went from 2.8/3.2km to 3.8/4km 4 times a week and I found myself totally wiped out afterwards. As you said, not really physically tired but wiped out. A couple of weeks of it (as part of a bigger training programme) and I was broken.

The thing for me was that I couldn't work out how to do anything about it. I tried different eating approaches, with the caveat that I couldn't have a large meal before hand, and nothing seemed to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: