Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Killer cyclist on trial for manslaughter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
GrahamO wrote:
SloggingScotsman wrote:
I would add a second perspective as well.

He's back Very Happy

oh yes.....and on the front page too...
quite happy to go again.

And anyone here who may have access to internet histories will know that me returning is against my normal behaviour. Once I leave I normally just move on. Which had been my intention.

We will see how this plays out. Life is too short and all that.

Anyhow being on the front page is better than me being on page 3, that would put anyone off their dinner!
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41263926

Obviously tragic news, but I'm not sure why this merits space on the BBC News homepage. There's no suggestion here that the cyclist did anything wrong and I'm sure that if she'd been hit by a bus or a car there would have been no interest in the story.

On a different note, I saw a guy riding in to work this morning on a track bike with no brakes. He was obviously too cool to stop at the lights and must have missed the news that riding a fixie without brakes massively increases your chance of going to jail Rolling Eyes
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

Obviously tragic news, but I'm not sure why this merits space on the BBC News homepage. There's no suggestion here that the cyclist did anything wrong and I'm sure that if she'd been hit by a bus or a car there would have been no interest in the story.

On a different note, I saw a guy riding in to work this morning on a track bike with no brakes. He was obviously too cool to stop at the lights and must have missed the news that riding a fixie without brakes massively increases your chance of going to jail Rolling Eyes

it's trendy, sadly, to be anti bike at the moment...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened ?

I don't want to click the link and increase the traffic to that story, drop in the ocean I know but
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

Sad news, but one key point from the story is
Quote:
Two pedestrians were killed in collisions with cyclists across the UK in 2015.
whilst
Quote:
There were 408 pedestrian deaths in the UK in 2015
attributed to cars from http://www.brake.org.uk/facts-resources/1653-uk-road-casualties
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here with Leeds City Council create cyclist v pedestrian (cyclist v car, etc.) collision hot spot. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-41246520
blindcider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
And here with Leeds City Council create cyclist v pedestrian (cyclist v car, etc.) collision hot spot. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-41246520

That's a crap solution all round:
1. Path too narrow for shared pedestrian/cycle lane
2. Path too narrow for bus-stop and cycle lane or pedestrian lane
3. Bus stopping area in main carriage way of road causing hassle to everyone whenever a bus has to stop increasing the chances of collisions due to overtaking moves on stationary bus
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18m in jail
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 months...

it'll be interesting to see what happens to the lorry driver without a driving licence (and his employers)

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 months seems a tad harsh under the circumstances but him being a total twat at the trial and a lack of remorse didn't endear him to the judge which may have led to the sentence. I would have thought 2 years suspended would be sufficient but then the anti-cycling hang 'em high lobby would have been up in arms.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, seems harsh, even if he is a twit. Been made an example of I'd imagine.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly set a precedent. I'm sure for any future collisions between cyclists and pedestrians, regardless of who is to blame, there'll be scrutiny of the legality/road worthiness of the bike, with families pushing for prosecution.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver of unroadworthy vehicle kills pedestrian. Brakes found to be defective.

If that headline was for any other vehicle type then jail would seem reasonable. I don't like to admit it, but sentence is not totally unreasonable.

Defence could have been a bit more aggressive in blaming the inattentiveness of the pedestrian if that was really a contributory factor.

Need to see the CCTV footage before full facts are known.
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:

If that headline was for any other vehicle type then jail would seem reasonable. I don't like to admit it, but sentence is not totally unreasonable.

Defence could have been a bit more aggressive in blaming the inattentiveness of the pedestrian if that was really a contributory factor.

My big problem with this is that if a motorist hit a pedestrian who stepped out in front of him at 18mph there would likely be no prison sentence regardless of the state of the vehicle, certainly not 18 months.

My big concerns in this case are not that this guy has been jailed for having a defective bike, but that he has been jailed for being a twat and using an obscure law out of the bounds of its original intentions which raises concerns over the sanctity of the law.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

My big problem with this is that if a motorist hit a pedestrian who stepped out in front of him at 18mph there would likely be no prison sentence regardless of the state of the vehicle, certainly not 18 months.

My big concerns in this case are not that this guy has been jailed for having a defective bike, but that he has been jailed for being a twat and using an obscure law out of the bounds of its original intentions which raises concerns over the sanctity of the law.

I think the issue here is that the brakes were not "defective" because of poor maintenance (e.g. worn-out brake pads). The bike was illegal from the day it first touched the road. The defendant might have claimed that he didn't realise that the bike was illegal for the road, but his previous bike did have a front brake, which he took off and then clearly indicated on social media that he appreciated that this made the bike more dangerous.

This allowed the prosecution to paint a picture of him as a reckless adrenalin junkie who was acting irresponsibly on the public roads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: