Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
DIY: adding wall insulation to garage conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sully

Location: Manchester (for 7+ years) ... far away from sunny Qatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: DIY: adding wall insulation to garage conversion Reply with quote

DIY Project & Questions: Adding wall insulation to an already converted garage ...
Which type of wall insulation should I go for?
Which would provide the best insulation?
Am planning to add extra insulation inside to the external wall in room currently used as a study/playroom. It is really chilly in the winters Sad

Originally the room was an internal/integral garage. So the external wall is single brick, concrete floor with basic "laminate" type thin board flooring. As part of the conversion the external wall was skimmed & painted, with no insulation added during conversion. This was done prior to us buying the house & may well have been done "on the cheap" as other jobs have been done..we have since found Wink
The window is double glazed and sits on a double brick wall, replacing where the original garage door was.
The room is being changed to be used as a bedroom and needs more insulation.

I've narrowed my options down to
Wooden frame & polystyrene blocks
either Wooden battens & Jablite Insulation Board, with plasterboard fixed on top.. very cheap but more steps in process & longer time to complete
OR
Thermal Plasterboard polystyrene already glued onto plasterboard
Gyproc Thermaline Plus Plasterboard already with a thermal type lining (from B&Q)
GTEC Vapour Board Square Edge Plasterboard (from SELCO)
Celotex 25mm High Performance Insulation Board (from WICKES)

I'm willing to be swayed by the most thermally efficient option
My DIY skills are lower than my enthusiasm but my persistence is highest.
The cheapest option would also take the longest, whereas the more expensive option could be much quicker.
As always all ideas, comments & pi$$takes welcome.
Cheers
Bri

P.S. & b.t.w. should my DIY project fail "epically" .... my son (his bedroom to be) will be getting merino wool products for Christmas etc.
Laughing
2010 July: IM CH 14:49. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, AbuDhabi Short. 2014 Outlaw 13:43 Smile
2015 Abu Dhabi Maxi, Doha Pearl Oly, Tameside XL
2016 Tour of Tameside, Ripon Oly
2017 Windy Hill Fell, Saddlesworth Tri, Tour of Tameside, Ripon Oly, Zurich 5150
kevb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would go for the first option. The reason being you are fixing to a structure in place so don't need to build in any structural support. You won't need supports at small intervals, like you would with a stud wall, just a post at each side of the polystyrene (get foil backed as a vapour barrier though). For the surface finish I would probably go with tongue and groove boards; easy to transport, install and paint.

good luck with whatever you decide
sully

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info.
I'm mid way thru several idiot's guide to' videos on youtube.
Cheers
2010 July: IM CH 14:49. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, AbuDhabi Short. 2014 Outlaw 13:43 Smile
2017 Windy Hill Fell, Saddlesworth Tri, Tour of Tameside, Ripon Oly, Zurich 5150
Compo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We converted a garage into a bedroom, although done by a builder as I have no DIY skills whatsoever. We went for the Celotex option on the advice of the builder and haven't regretted it through the two winters we have had so far. However we went for 50mm thick.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds like stuff that should have be covered by building regs for the original conversion, and you should at least pay heed to the spirit of them for any changes. Cellotex board and an airgap would be the conventional way to go - one of the cheapest and most thermally efficient solutions. Fire retardancy should at least be a consideration but I guess it is up to you. Now imagine your garage is a 24-storey unit and price up the different options and you can see the reasons why Grenfell ended up the way it did.
sully

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies.
After more internet trawling & chatting with people in the building trade, I went for an easier DIY option.
Three big sheets of "Thermal XP" plasterboard, glued on with "pink-grip" adhesive foam. That was great fun....remembered not scratch my ar$e & reminded my son not to pick nose etc. Whilst we mightily pushed the board to the wall...for the minimum 5 min duration...
I went for the smallest 27 mm option as the existing skirting board was just deeper than this (boxed in the gas mains pipe) & now looks less odd, not appearing to stick out from the wall.
Next I used "scrim tape" along all join between boards, then filled in all gaps.
Last stages now of sanding & chucking on a few coats of paint, 2 or 3 cheap emulsion undercoats, before the more expensive top coat.
Finally I found it very useful spending some time to compare prices between various suppliers. Previously I'd go to B&Q for convenience, with an occasional visit to another supplier. Now I've found B&Q to be dearer than Screwfix (owned by B&Q b.t.w.), Wickes, Selco, Tool Station etc. for the bits I needed for this job.
May add an update to this thread over the winter.... success or failure....
Cheers
Bri

P.S. Tony, we've found a few jobs in this house done on the cheap or by someone with less enthusiasm & DIY skills than me. (& Grenfell point yep,,, some guilty & greedy people around)
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I've found B&Q to be dearer than Screwfix (owned by B&Q b.t.w.)

I could be pedantic and say that's not quite correct - Screwfix are owned by Kingfisher plc who also happen to own B&Q. So more like sister companies than one owning the other.

but it's always nice to do a DIY job that you've never tacked before. since we moved I've learned concreting skills, built cobble walls, insulated and close boarded a new workshop plus many other minor things that I would have in the past paid someone to do. quite satisfying!
lastoutofthepool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If gas pipe is boxed in have you checked if it needs ventilation?
All depends on size of the void.
If unsure take a few measurements (cross section and length) and seek advice from a Gas Safe engineer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: