Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Helvellyn 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy916

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day, lots of fun though! TT bike definitely the one to have, even though I was carrying more weight and giving away 4 teeth on the rear compared to my recce ride.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted I missed this. Next year perhaps.
earthling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a tough day out. The swim seemed long - times are slower than the last few years anyway. Swimming back towards the marina was a bit unpleasant with the chop. Bike leg down Thrilmere was the windiest I have known it - hard headwind all the way. There was a guy laid out on Kirkstone Pass who looked in a bad way when I went down. No idea how he fared but it looked like an ambulance was needed. There was a crowd around him and cars had been stopped anyway. Run up to the top was the usual slog and I could see why they cut the run short with some of Swirral Edge in the cloud. The faff with wetsuits at the finish is hard work but I guess that will be the EA and nothing to do with TriHard as the organiser.

All in I was quite a bit slower this year than I was last year on the swim, same time on the bike but very disappointed with my run split given the shortened course.

Hats off to TriHard, I love this race and it has never disappointed - always a twist somewhere and a beautiful course. It's truly a race you can do simply for pleasure and not feel obliged to hit it as hard as you can.

Well done to all that finished.
earthling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been sent that - seems the guy on Kirkstone Pass was in a bad way. Paul Sutton. Wishing him all the best if he is known on this forum.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a tough day, it has been glorious the last 3 years.

I heard about the crash, that is quite bad, although I think someone got airlifted off a couple of years ago in a bad way. I just take it really easy and don't worry about losing time, but I have seen people overtaking cars in the past and riding fairly dangerously, but it is their own body they are risking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the swim was a bit long, a couple of my mates times looked a bit long, although it is advertised as a mile, not 1500 like on an Olympic.

I think the wetsuit washing is actually the national trust or some other body rather than the BTA to stop invasive species etc., I've had to do the same at various (inland) races, including Grafham water. It's a bit frustrating when there's a queue but out of the organisers hands really.

Hopefully I'll be back for it next year.

Jeff
Clive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
You did it again, nearly 12 minutes faster than me and 20 minutes on the bike, wow well done that man Smile
I found the conditions quite testing this year especially the bike where there were moments I felt I was cycling at about 1 mph.
Despite that, thoroughly enjoyed the event, and I'm not sure I would use a tt bike as I prefer to go slow apart from the Kirkstone descent, I prefer that about 40/50mph, it's where risk gain me places over wattage! Have done for about 10 years on and off.
I did pass that guy and yes had to slow down massively whilst the ambulance and peeps were sorting him out - JeffB spot on in that the same thing happened a few years ago.
Agree with Earthling, always a super, well organised event,and I do seem to be getting slower every year.
Don't think increasing my power to weight ratio by losing 2kg helped this time as I was blown about like a sail in all 3 disciplines.
Quads still crying after my exciting run descent two days on.
Well done all.
Clive
PS Did you see my Fb entry, there were two of us with same place as our number, I was 167th and number 167 and David Large, 246th and number 246!
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive - will have to (finally!) meet up at Ambleside in a couple of weeks.

I was one of the relative few on TT bikes on Sunday, having recce'd previously on road bike. Made a big difference in the wind but made the climbs a bit harder. Am comfortable with its handling, and its Magura hydraulic rim brakes which I fitted especially for this sort of course. I'll be back on my road bike for TriX half, though, given the steeper climbs and descents.

I was surprised to see so many minimally-clad runners with only bumbags given the forecast of 50mph gusts and feels-like-zero temperature! I was putting me warm hat on and zipping up tight when they diverted us to the lower loop. I guess the potential for chaos was too great on the edge and on the summit. Loved the fast downhill towards the end (ankles coping ok now, at last), then like a few others I had sudden quad cramp on the final flat bit. Legs are recovering well now though, nearly ready for a couple more weeks work before TriX!
GanarLtd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful place to remain updated and a great community of-course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: