Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
age and injury
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: age and injury Reply with quote

Just found out that I completed IM Vichy with 2 broken ribs, one rib fractured in 2 places. 5 days before Vichy while tapering, I had a hard fall while windsurfing. My ribs were sore, but thought it was just soft tissue injury, however, 2 weeks later felt I had better get an X-ray.

Anyway, I managed 43 years almost injury free, in the past 2 I have broken my wrist, collarbone, finger and now 2 ribs. I have had 2 knee injuries (one tripping over, one too much running) and a foot injury (Metatarsalgia, as a result of trying to change my running style).

I am fitter, thinner, healthier, but just seem prone to injury. Anyone else experiencing this?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am fitter, thinner, healthier, but just seem prone to injury. Anyone else experiencing this?

it's called getting older so yes

my brain still thinks my body is invincible; my body now keeps telling my brain to ferk off.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always done sport & picked up several regional & national vests in my time, but as soon as I hit 40 I've been balancing/managing one injury after another.

It's #@?# getting old, but better than the alternative.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe stop windsurfing? Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Yes, my head says this too, but my heart says "no way", at least Windsurfing is brilliant for developing core strength

I appear to have lost a layer of protective fat that acted as an impact vest, now when I come off my board at speed it hurts more
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Yes, my head says this too, but my heart says "no way", at least Windsurfing is brilliant for developing core strength

I appear to have lost a layer of protective fat that acted as an impact vest, now when I come off my board at speed it hurts more

Maybe don't stop windsurfing completely, but in the last couple of weeks before an event that you've been training for for months it might be worth wrapping yourself up in cotton wool and avoiding any unnecessary risks.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Maybe don't stop windsurfing completely, but in the last couple of weeks before an event that you've been training for for months it might be worth wrapping yourself up in cotton wool and avoiding any unnecessary risks.

This. I generally don't consider cycle commuting in London to be any more risky than crossing the street on foot, but in the week or so before a key race, I will get the tube just in case, and do most of my taper riding on the turbo.

Last year before Weymouth 70.3, just cycling into the office complex 10 days before the race, they were doing some cleaning with a pressure hose and I hadnt spotted the fat hose spanning the road. Came down at slow speed and hard on my left hip, which led to no running before the race. Eliminating the potential for those kind of stupid accidents if a particular race is your main goal is just sensible risk management.
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: age and injury Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Just found out that I completed IM Vichy with 2 broken ribs, one rib fractured in 2 places. 5 days before Vichy while tapering, I had a hard fall while windsurfing. My ribs were sore, but thought it was just soft tissue injury, however, 2 weeks later felt I had better get an X-ray.

Anyway, I managed 43 years almost injury free, in the past 2 I have broken my wrist, collarbone, finger and now 2 ribs. I have had 2 knee injuries (one tripping over, one too much running) and a foot injury (Metatarsalgia, as a result of trying to change my running style).

.. and harder Wink
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://quotegeek.com/quotes-from-movies/top-gun/1638/

(SFW)
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my teens, 20s and early 30s I was pretty bomb proof and just didn't get injured. Now, I seem more injured than not, although this is mainly through running and very bent feet. I don't seem to fall off things like you Mattsurf! I love running, but I'm getting to the point where I'm probably going to pack it in completely and just focus on cycling. I just cba to do the necessary physio to make it worth my while.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knew that windsurfing was still a thing? Get with the times and switch to kite surfing.
mortirolo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in my late forties, I find going to the gym 2-3 times a week and doing weights, say 3 sets of 12 or 2 sets of 12 and 1 set of 8 with heavier weights has made my muscles feel stronger and help with injury prevention, as we get older our muscles lose there ability to grow as they did in our 20's!

Also train easier in a lower HR Zone, maybe 1 intensity session a week or a small amount intensity during a session, limited. As we get older intensity sessions make us tired we just don't have the energy any more, our bodies take much longer to recover which to leads to injury if we run or bike too hard especially. Build up from low intensity to high, the training process is longer, go full gas, pay the price old boy!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't do any training this weekend, however, woke up this morning and my foot is really painful, I can hardly walk this afternoon, I suspect a stress fracture, will go to Dr tomorrow. I am getting injured even when not training
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Didn't do any training this weekend, however, woke up this morning and my foot is really painful, I can hardly walk this afternoon, I suspect a stress fracture, will go to Dr tomorrow. I am getting injured even when not training

Stress fracture from "sleeping"? You got to stop those extreme sports. Smile
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly gets harder as you get older. I'm up to my 6th spine operation now over 5yrs. One of those saw me shut down completely and not being able to walk for 9mths unless I was lowered into a swimming pool. The constant cycle of surgery and rehab is mentally and emotionally draining.

However, apart from the first incident when my back snapped and my DNF from IM Wales 205, at least I knew these episodes were coming.

What really screwed me over in terms of 'do i want to carry on' was an accident I had in Sydney where I broke 5 ribs, punctured my lung, smashed my collar bone in 3 pieces and busted my hip. That took ages to come back from.

IMO, being older, especially an old Dad with a young child, does make me evaluate things more and whilst I don't stop all together, I do minimise risk these days. I've pretty much stopped crit racing now, and I'm not really interested in slugging out rides in winter when the weather is icy or just plain dodgy.

I'd give it all up before I gave up surfing though Very Happy I've only had one bad incident surfing that resulted in a hospital visit (pulled into a backhand overhead closeout, didnt make it out Smile )

With regards to races, I think it's more about a 'should I be doing this at this point' train of thought. I feel more paranoid about getting sick from door handles and stuff at work as a race gets closer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: