Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Qualification for Ironman events
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
stenard wrote:
Just seen the full letter. That makes a big difference as most people, if not all, would plan for a middle distance race in the build up to a first full.

I guess if it were rolled out, it only really impacts those first timers who plan for their first middle distance 6-8 weeks before the full, as that wouldn't be early enough to be able to "validate".

I think this would more likely affect people like me, who have been out of tri for a while and may well not have entered a race in a few years, despite having done an IM and other endurance events, due to the time limited 'validation period'.

It would certainly affect me - I'm entered for IM Lanza next year, which will be my 6th Lanza and 10th IM in total, but the last tri of any distance that I've done was IM Lanza in 2015. I'm not planning on doing any tri between now and Lanza, but if this rule was introduced universally I'd have to find a middle distance event to do before May 2018.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
cut-off-surfers

That's a new one on me; I'll add it to 'One & Done'.

I remember standing in the sign-on queue at St George and over-hearing the people behind discussing how "God willing" they hoped that they'd beat the swim cut-off "this time" and be allowed to start the bike leg Shocked Rolling Eyes .

They clearly hadn't done any research before entering because they had no idea how hard the course was - very cold (14C) swim, hilly bike, very hot (35C) and very hilly (800m) run, all done at 1000+m above sea level Shocked

They have some good volunteers at St George, most races have to suffice with mere mortals!

ETA: It does tickle me the notion that a god would be bothered to intervene.
Jesus: "Hey dad, what are you up to, shall we look at helping starving ppl or maybe create peace in the middle east?"
God: "Shut up son, I'm busy making sure everyone makes the cut-off in a triathlon!"

Last edited by Pedro Peru on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this would affect the one&done crowd, in fact it could be a good marketing ploy to force them to put a 70.3 race on their journey, thus increasing revenue. If your goal is to complete an IRONMAN(c) and to do that you have to complete an IRONMAN70.3 then that just becomes part of the project plan.

--
awildt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
I don't think this would affect the one&done crowd, in fact it could be a good marketing ploy to force them to put a 70.3 race on their journey, thus increasing revenue. If your goal is to complete an IRONMAN(c) and to do that you have to complete an IRONMAN70.3 then that just becomes part of the project plan.

--

And it means they can get 2 tattoo's.

1 after the 70.3 to provide the "inspiration" Rolling Eyes to keep "driving" forward in achieving their "lifetime's goal" in such a "life changing" experience Slam Head
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:

--

doesn't fit in with the 1 and done crowd who are literally not up for a repeat performance of any scale or significance...

however, having taken their money for both 1/2 and long, and after they discover how hard it will be, they will have a lot less on the start line to cater for...

that's a lot less goody bags to procure...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we have underestimated Brand Power. I'm pretty sure there are people that would buy Apple branded dog-poo bags if they existed, for example. Some people really are on-the-hook.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Maybe we have underestimated Brand Power. I'm pretty sure there are people that would buy Apple branded dog-poo bags if they existed, for example. Some people really are on-the-hook.

but this is more than about money and queueing up...you have to actually do something...

when enough have entered their half and failed or taken 7+ hours, the word will soon get out that this is not worth the hassle...

SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

when enough have entered their half and failed or taken 7+ hours, the word will soon get out that this is not worth the hassle...
I hear your point Ejc, and its context.

In a differing context I would counter it (as a failure) by noting that it is very much worth the hassle.

I got into that cold 07 morning water with a shoulder injury. I was swam over, beat up, and was sure that I was out of time when a canoe started to mirror me home. I was out the water in a touch over 2 hours iirc, in absolute disbelief I was still in the race. That was a key moment in my life. Then onto the bike (never never stop while on the bike, medics will try to talk you into quitting) [I just needed to get more food in me fast].

Even though I didn't finish, the whole experience, from those of you who were there that day, through the swim to the point I cheered the final person through the line, was a huge personal learning experience for me, and a great day out/weekend.

So I argue that it is very much worth the hassle, as you face yourself.

But I rather suspect you know that yourself Ejc!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with Sloggers for once. It's the seasoned Ironman that are more likely to be deterred if it had to be a WTC event; looks like it doesn't though.

Whilst the Legacy Scheme seems great, even when you hit 12, you still have to enter Ironman events ad-infinitum until you make the Kona list. It's taking longer as time passes too.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I actually agree with Sloggers for once.
glad I am sitting down!

Quote:
until you make the Kona list. It's taking longer as time passes too.
take my approach enter when you hit 70/1 when ever that age cut of is, and pick your qualifier to give you max chance.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
If they stipulated WTC events, I think they'd just put a lot of people off, as if you couldn't get into a local 70.3 event, you'd have to travel just to get a tick in the box. I think 'One & dones' might make the effort in their quest for an Ironman medal, but I wouldn't.

WTC need to carefully balance supply & demand with this sort of thing. I've not done a WTC Ironman since Jul '15, and have no immediate plans to do another. If I had to 'validate' at a 70.3, that's just another factor pushing me away from WTC events, and into the arms of Challenge or Independent races.

Way way back in the day, at Ironman Oz you had to qualify to race. I don't mean validate, you had to race a Half under a certain time to enter IM Oz.

I dip in and out of the WTC bandwagon when it suits. I'm not for or against it. Swissman holds appeal for me, I like being on my own and I like being in crowds. The boring just add water draftfest courses hold zero interest, no matter who is running them.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I hear your point Ejc, and its context.

In a differing context I would counter it (as a failure) by noting that it is very much worth the hassle.

I got into that cold 07 morning water with a shoulder injury. I was swam over, beat up, and was sure that I was out of time when a canoe started to mirror me home. I was out the water in a touch over 2 hours iirc, in absolute disbelief I was still in the race. That was a key moment in my life. Then onto the bike (never never stop while on the bike, medics will try to talk you into quitting) [I just needed to get more food in me fast].

Even though I didn't finish, the whole experience, from those of you who were there that day, through the swim to the point I cheered the final person through the line, was a huge personal learning experience for me, and a great day out/weekend.

So I argue that it is very much worth the hassle, as you face yourself.

But I rather suspect you know that yourself Ejc!

but, in your case, not enough to have sent them any more money yet....and i doubt it will spur many on either...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I actually agree with Sloggers for once. It's the seasoned Ironman that are more likely to be deterred if it had to be a WTC event; looks like it doesn't though.

Whilst the Legacy Scheme seems great, even when you hit 12, you still have to enter Ironman events ad-infinitum until you make the Kona list. It's taking longer as time passes too.

the seasoned IM will simply pass it up...apart from those with more money than sense, of which i suppose there are plenty...

ttowel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the case for my first ever Iron distance in Almere in 2000.

I had to prove I'd done a middle distance event. But I hadn't as this was my first triathlon.

Instead, I used evidence of the Southern Traverse, a 5 day adventure race in New Zealand and a full athletic CV.

They made an exception to the rule.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
If they stipulated WTC events, I think they'd just put a lot of people off, as if you couldn't get into a local 70.3 event, you'd have to travel just to get a tick in the box. I think 'One & dones' might make the effort in their quest for an Ironman medal, but I wouldn't.

WTC need to carefully balance supply & demand with this sort of thing. I've not done a WTC Ironman since Jul '15, and have no immediate plans to do another. If I had to 'validate' at a 70.3, that's just another factor pushing me away from WTC events, and into the arms of Challenge or Independent races.

Way way back in the day, at Ironman Oz you had to qualify to race. I don't mean validate, you had to race a Half under a certain time to enter IM Oz.

I dip in and out of the WTC bandwagon when it suits. I'm not for or against it. Swissman holds appeal for me, I like being on my own and I like being in crowds. The boring just add water draftfest courses hold zero interest, no matter who is running them.

Have you seen the Icon man in Italy Cool although it seems bad weather this year meant the Stelvio couldn't be ridden
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: