Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Newbie bike advice please...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ernesto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Newbie bike advice please... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Apologies for the numpty questions in advance!

I've just joined my first local tri-club and looking to buy my first road bike. I'm thinking not to go high end as I want to get settled in before stepping up. A couple of people have suggested getting a bike straight from the internet ( Planet X or Canyon) as you can get a good deal etc. My concern is that I've never really heard of these makes and don't want to make a mistake. I've been told to get the ultegra shimano components and it should be fine. My budget is crica 1k-1.5k.

Thanks in advance!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen a cervelo r2 in you our budget...

First things first, though, you need to establish what size....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to go high end yet and can get to a Decathlon then checkout the Triban range, really good value. At least this way, you can try the bikes out and get an idea of what fits you.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-grey-black-105-id_8377756.html?_cclid=v3_551e0b5d-d65e-5936-bdb9-ae1f93dffed3&gclid=CjwKCAjwlrnNBRBMEiwApKU4PI1ydu2MnSI8qv1dhmixOnYrKoJDM3pHvn8SRDAotmbh_azphuVP2BoCAqgQAvD_BwE#sL

Also, you don't need Ultegra, the benefits of Ultegra over 105 is just lower weight. Pretty much all of the Shimano range will be fine, aim for Tiagra upwards if you can.
kevb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie bike advice please... Reply with quote

Ernesto wrote:
Hi guys,

Apologies for the numpty questions in advance!

I've just joined my first local tri-club and looking to buy my first road bike. I'm thinking not to go high end as I want to get settled in before stepping up. A couple of people have suggested getting a bike straight from the internet ( Planet X or Canyon) as you can get a good deal etc. My concern is that I've never really heard of these makes and don't want to make a mistake. I've been told to get the ultegra shimano components and it should be fine. My budget is crica 1k-1.5k.

Thanks in advance!

Follow the three R's...Research, research, research

If you have the time there are shed-loads of youtube vids explaining the difference between groupsets, components and frames. And lots of info on sizing too.

If you're clever with your budget, you could get an alloy frame bike for a few hundred quid that will serve well for the remainder of the year and into winter. If you wait until about a month before Christmas, people tend to sell summer 'impulse' purchases to fund Christmas so you could get a rather nice carbon too. Then you will have a 'winter' alloy bike that you can fit mudguards to and commute on, plus a 'summer' bike for club rides.

Good luck with the hunt Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not in a rush, figure out what bikes you like and in what size, then trawl Ebay, or the 2017 sales which are starting already. Nothing wrong with Planet X (I had one), although they are a bit 'Doncaster' Laughing Canyon are another level compared to PX, and I'm seriously considering buying an Endurace with bells & whistles (hydraulic/Ui2)

Canyon have a 'PPS' thing where you input body measurements to determine the frame size.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd echo that.

Buying new:
Get from a shop unless you know pretty darn well what you are looking for. Get sized up in the process, so not just Halfords but someone who knows what they are doing.
Pros: Longer lasting enjoyment and more likely to make you want to go biking.
Cons: Expensive compared to all other options.

Buying used:
Get an idea of framesize (borrow someone else's and see) and start trawling eBay, Gumtree, Facebook etc. Target 2-300 or so and simply use that bike to give it a shot and learn what you really want.
Pros: Much cheaper initially, but then when you know what you have all the options available.
Cons: It'd be lower spec and less comfortable, potentially reducing enjoyment and not wanting you to get out biking.

Buying new online:
If you don't know what you are after it'd be the worst of both. Get something that may or may not fit, at a high cost.

My suggestion would be 2nd hand cheapskate first, then buy online (or 2nd hand again) for a "proper" bike when you know what you really want. Two bikes for the price of one really. Or cough up and go to a shop if you just can't get comfortable but at least then you have an idea of what works and what doesn't.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2p worth, as a newbie to cycling/triathlon 12 months ago, is some feel or kid themselves that they need to go fancy for the bike, rather than admitting it's also an element of wanting something shiny.
I'd recommend second hand while you find your place. I looked online and tried friends frame for size and then bought a Cannondale SuperSix couple of years old, 105 groupset and it looks spot on for 480. Not had a single problem with it, and if had wanted to spend more it would have been to upgrade the wheels rather than the rest of the bike.

By all means if you have the money to spend and think it'll make you happy then go for it, maybe I'm just a tight Yorkshireman and a poor student Wink Razz But you can do very well without needing to go all out.
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been offered a Argon E118 Dura ace 7900 mechanical, but no wheels for a low % of the original shop price.
It has done 4-500 miles....

1 Is it worth the upgrade from my Argon 18 E116, di2 and zipp 808 fc?

2 Unless you get a huge discount, or you average 25mph plus why would anyone buy a brand new this years model bike?

3 I could buy any bike I liked, within reason, if it helped me go 2-3 mph faster I would.
It wouldnt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: