Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Any Oceanographers here?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Any Oceanographers here? Reply with quote

Long shot I know, but you never know.

If you had some sort of activity in the area of the Tonga Trench, e.g. Plate movement, nuclear sub having an accident, whatever, given the flow of the South Equatorial Currents, and the flow that appears to go around the north of Australia:-

1. Is it possible that wave effects, debris, pollution, whatever, could find its way towards the middle of the Indian Ocean?
2. How likely is that to happen? As opposed to simply circling down the East coast of Australia.
3. If material did find its way into the middle of the Indian Ocean, then are there any oceanographic reasons why it could get a bit of a gentle 'kick' propelling it towards the coast of Africa? Now I know that the Equatorial Current would do that naturally, but I am looking for structural reasons why there could be a mid way boost or kick, albeit relatively gentle.

Thanks in advance.
Tigger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes.
2. Depends on size and density but typically p is of the order of 2.7 x 10^-10 to 1 x 10^-15 depending on the relative density of the object.
3. Yes.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigger wrote:
1. Yes.
2. Depends on size and density but typically p is of the order of 2.7 x 10^-10 to 1 x 10^-15 depending on the relative density of the object.
3. Yes.
Tigger I have no idea if that is fact or banter, but either way thank you.

2. That's a pretty small probability! Microscopic even.
3. Silly me for not being sufficiently specific. What, Why and How? (This might be fun)

Oh and can I add a:-

4. Given prevailing winds it is possible that an event in the trench could traverse the thermocline sufficiently to hit and impact the atmospheric interface, and to winward travel to just short of Africa? And if so is there an atmospheric condition that could then give such a 'kick' at that location, helping it on its way? What is it?

Cheers.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: