Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Back to run training after knee injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks since my first run. I am now up to 10 miles running comfortably. Pace is still slow, 5:30/km compared with sub 5:00/km in April, however I focusing on recovery, not speed. Did my first "fast" Parkrun in 3 months, expecting to do 25 mins, so was delighted with 23 min without putting pushing hard. My parkrun PB is 19:45.

Vichy coming up in 10 days, 2 long runs this week followed by a taper next week

My knee is probably 95%. I am really surprised how long it is taking to recover. For anyone else who has suffered a knee injury, don't be surprised if it takes 2 months from the point you are able to run to the point that you actually have some confidence again that you can run properly
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks since my first run. I am now up to 10 miles running comfortably. Pace is still slow, 5:30/km compared with sub 5:00/km in April, however I focusing on recovery, not speed. Did my first "fast" Parkrun in 3 months, expecting to do 25 mins, so was delighted with 23 min without putting pushing hard. My parkrun PB is 19:45.

Vichy coming up in 10 days, 2 long runs this week followed by a taper next week

My knee is probably 95%. I am really surprised how long it is taking to recover. For anyone else who has suffered a knee injury, don't be surprised if it takes 2 months from the point you are able to run to the point that you actually have some confidence again that you can run properly
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the timescales, did mine early April and still doing 80% of runs on the treadmill where it feels better. Will need to start weaning myself off, unless Ironman Italy and Florida are prepared to provide me with a treadmill to do their runs......

I have also been left with a shortened stride length, which has capped top end speed, and also a much weaker push off on one side which I suspect is the next injury waiting to happen if I was to throw any volume/intensity.

Increasingly confident I can muddle through this season and get finishes but without the performances I'd hoped for.

Going to spend 3 months doing things to rehab, work on form and technique and build a huge base of easy, frequent running once this season is over before hitting the afterburners for next year (target IM Wales)

Good luck at Vichy

Oi knee, do one....
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Agreed on the timescales, did mine early April and still doing 80% of runs on the treadmill where it feels better. Will need to start weaning myself off, unless Ironman Italy and Florida are prepared to provide me with a treadmill to do their runs......

I have also been left with a shortened stride length, which has capped top end speed, and also a much weaker push off on one side which I suspect is the next injury waiting to happen if I was to throw any volume/intensity.

Increasingly confident I can muddle through this season and get finishes but without the performances I'd hoped for.

Going to spend 3 months doing things to rehab, work on form and technique and build a huge base of easy, frequent running once this season is over before hitting the afterburners for next year (target IM Wales)

Good luck at Vichy

Good luck in Italy and Florida

Completely agree on stride length, mine is down 20%

Even though my speed is right down, did a really good 16k run yesterday - kept to 4h marathon pace, and maintained a heart rate at 140bpm, 2 weeks ago I was at 155bpm

I have run 50k this week, this morning knee is feeling a little sore, so a couple of days off now, and then just some light running in the final days before Vichy

Totally unprepared for Vichy, the only thing I am confident is is the swim, which is my worst discipline

Going to get a coach after Vichy and do things properly next year
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Good luck at Vichy

Good luck in Italy and Florida

Completely agree on stride length, mine is down 20%

Even though my speed is right down, did a really good 16k run yesterday - kept to 4h marathon pace, and maintained a heart rate at 140bpm, 2 weeks ago I was at 155bpm

I have run 50k this week, this morning knee is feeling a little sore, so a couple of days off now, and then just some light running in the final days before Vichy

Totally unprepared for Vichy, the only thing I am confident is is the swim, which is my worst discipline

Going to get a coach after Vichy and do things properly next year

20% is a large reduction...is this mostly out front or out back???

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knee held up well in IM 140.6 in Vicky: it wasn't a fast run, I just dont have the run fitness, however, now much more confident to ramp the training for faster runs
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Knee held up well in IM 140.6 in Vicky: it wasn't a fast run, I just dont have the run fitness, however, now much more confident to ramp the training for faster runs

Go steady

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Go steady

Probably not running for a week or so to make sure knee has time to recover
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on recovery from knee injury

I started running gently 3 days after IM Vichy, a week after Vichy I started to ramp up the running, starting at 5k and building up to 10k. I have been running every other day, and now, 2 weeks after Vichy, I am running better and faster than I have run since May 2nd, just before I injured my knee.

I am not at the same level I was before my knee injury, but I am still recovering, and only 2 weeks post IM, however, I now feel that I am really getting back on track.

A note of encouragement for anyone who has an injury before their A race: ahead of IM Vichy, I had been running for 5 weeks and only been running "properly" for 3 weeks, the longest run that I had completed for almost 4 months was 16km and between 2nd May and 27 August I had run the grand total of 124km, even so, I still managed the marathon without walking and completed it in 4h38m, which was marginally faster than the median pace. My conclusion is that fitness is transferable between disciplines, even recovering from injury doesn't mean that you cant run a good race
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: