Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
i am in

think sometimes we over worry and think things

just going to crack on train for the usual pain until here otherwise

Yeah I think I am just going to enter and what happens happens. Need to wait and see what occurs with annual bonus as that will dictate things slightly.

Training is starting with Lanza in mind.
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a discussion with Club La Santa about the potential course changes and they gave me the following reply. So looks like it won't be changing after all...

"The only reason for a bike route change was a festival in a nearby town going north."

"This won't have any affect on the IRONMAN 2018."

"This is a sure thing. Even the 70.3 should get back his old track...although we received very good feedback from athletes...we will see about that."
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding resistance is currently futile...

Has anyone flown with Monarch? I'm ditching British Airways as a) they don't fly to Lanza on convenient dates, and b) they've been a bit unreliable the last few trips (as well as started to charge for food/drink, but kept their prices high).

So, looking for alternatives - Monarch, Easy Jet? I'm not keen on Ryan Air - I've heard too many tales of woe to trust them with my bike.

Looking to fly from Bristol, Cardiff, Heathrow or Gatwick.

Any recommendations gratefully received.
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always flown with either ryaniar or jet2. The've always been the cheapest by far.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're flying BA from Gatwick because the times/dates work and we're redeeming some points, so it's only costing us 150 for the two of us Cool .

We've flown Easyjet to Lanza a few times and that worked out pretty well each time. There was never an issue with the bikes and the flights usually leave bang on time.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:

Has anyone flown with Monarch? I'm ditching British Airways as a) they don't fly to Lanza on convenient dates, and b) they've been a bit unreliable the last few trips (as well as started to charge for food/drink, but kept their prices high).

So, looking for alternatives - Monarch, Easy Jet? I'm not keen on Ryan Air - I've heard too many tales of woe to trust them with my bike.

flown with monarch plenty of time no issues ,with bikes

I have even forgot to book bike on ( my own fault), rolled up at airport and booked on at desk cost extra but no issue
used all main cheap airlines apart ryanair had no issues

I refuse to use ryanair
Simon G.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie,
I've flown with both Monarch and EasyJet to Lanza Ironman - both fine. I personally like EasyJet best and use them a lot for family holidays too Smile
earthling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the other responses, used mainly monarch and easy jet on one occasion. Both worked out well no complaints.
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSlowOne wrote:
I've just had a discussion with Club La Santa about the potential course changes and they gave me the following reply. So looks like it won't be changing after all...

"The only reason for a bike route change was a festival in a nearby town going north."

"This is a sure thing. Even the 70.3 should get back his old track...although we received very good feedback from athletes...we will see about that."

Interesting, although it does contradict what is on the Ironman Lanzarote 70.3 web page:

"IRONMAN 70.3 LANZAROTE NEW BIKE COURSE! Due to traffic restriction laws for sports events, the full race course must be closed to traffic and we have modified the bike course consequently

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/lanzarote/athletes/course.aspx#ixzz4sS21eTWp"

Possibly the police used that law as a reason to get them to change because of the festival, who knows.

I hope the above is 100%.
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:

I flew to Lanza on a training camp this year. I took my bike and flew Ryanair, had absolutely no issues at all. My bike was on a soft bag, no damage no probs. Think most of us were on ryanair and about 5 of us bought bikes with no problems.

I guess its just luck. Having said that I took my old alu trek 1.1 so if had of got damaged I wouldn't have been that upset. I am not sure I would like to take the P3 with them
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie,

Like others here, flown with my bike with EasyJet loads of times and no issue really, especially as they have their own terminal now at Gatwick, much better. You will always get the odd delay but the only I was really put out (5hr delay due to two planes breaking down) was on a work trip coming home from Madrid.

Luckily, none of the 'important' trips have been affected longer than about 40 mins. Smile

Gatwick is a PITA for me compared to LHR though.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Ozzie1973 wrote:

I flew to Lanza on a training camp this year. I took my bike and flew Ryanair, had absolutely no issues at all. My bike was on a soft bag, no damage no probs. Think most of us were on ryanair and about 5 of us bought bikes with no problems.

I guess its just luck. Having said that I took my old alu trek 1.1 so if had of got damaged I wouldn't have been that upset. I am not sure I would like to take the P3 with them

I think the risk of damage to the bike in transit is more an issue with the local baggage handlers at the airport than the airline. Lanza seems to be pretty good on that front as I guess they're used to seeing a relatively large number of bikes coming through.

From an airline point of view, I'd be more concerned about what they charge for a bike, any weight limits that might result in a hefty excess baggage charge at the airport and any restrictions on the number of bikes per flight. You used to hear lots of horror stories about airlines limiting the number of bikes on a flight, so unless you got there as soon as check-in opened, you ran the risk of your bike not getting on. I guess the budget airlines like EasyJet and Ryan Air are actively encouraging people to take their luggage as carry-on only, so hold space is probably not and issue.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
TheSlowOne wrote:

Interesting, although it does contradict what is on the Ironman Lanzarote 70.3 web page:

"IRONMAN 70.3 LANZAROTE NEW BIKE COURSE! Due to traffic restriction laws for sports events, the full race course must be closed to traffic and we have modified the bike course consequently

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/lanzarote/athletes/course.aspx#ixzz4sS21eTWp"

Possibly the police used that law as a reason to get them to change because of the festival, who knows.

I hope the above is 100%.

Yeah, I thought those comments contradicted the 70.3 website and the other comments on here from locals about enforcement of the closed road rule. IM is obviously a much bigger event, so the authorities are more likely to want to find a workable solution.

All of the speculation can't be good for entries. It would help if the organisers could get something definitive out ASAP.
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was over in Lanza earlier this year for the Volcano tri, that also had a different lapped circuit, I was asking a freind of mine who lives on the island why the route had changed, he said at the end of 2016 there was a local tri and all the roads to the north were closed and residents and tourists couldn't get into Teguise for the market and I believe there were a lot of complaints about regarding more events and more full road closures and the massive inconvenience it brings, I don't think people minded when it was 1 or 2 events a year, but I think it was getting to the stage where there are events most weekends and the impression I got was that that they said enough is enough. The event in question had less than 100 entries but basically shut the north of the island down for half a day.

That's why the plan to have a Lanza Long course weekend was cancelled.
Andy G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutterworth1 wrote:
I was over in Lanza earlier this year for the Volcano tri, that also had a different lapped circuit

Did they go back to doing 2 laps of the La Santa, Soo, Tiagua and Tinajo loop? I used to like that course.

Andy G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: