Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
One of the founding fathers of triathlon dies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: One of the founding fathers of triathlon dies Reply with quote

http://www.triathlon.org/news/article/itu_honorary_president_les_mcdonald_dies_at_84_years_of_age

a Brit by birth, but later a Canadian national, Les was integral in setting up the ITU and getting triathlon into the Olympics, and served as ITU President for 19 years. Probably done more to establish triathlon as an international sport than any other except perhaps John Collins and the Ironman brand.

he also helped establish Whistler as a top ski resort.

RIP Les
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, RIP

i didn't always agree with him...but the sport is far further forward for his efforts...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is a sign of the times....he was such a controversial figure in the sport that I am surprised at the lack of chatter...

Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it probably reflects the limited interest that most people have in the ITU and the increased influence of WTC events. I suspect most people here aren't even members of British Triathlon (or whatever the relevant body is) and they're much more likely to be travelling abroad to race IM than they are to do the ITU champs.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I think it probably reflects the limited interest that most people have in the ITU and the increased influence of WTC events. I suspect most people here aren't even members of British Triathlon (or whatever the relevant body is) and they're much more likely to be travelling abroad to race IM than they are to do the ITU champs.

I suspect that's more a reflection of this forum than a lack of interest in ITU and it's events, given the numbers of AG athletes who try to qualify for ETU or ITU champ events as GB usually turn out to have the highest number of participants certainly when these events are in Europe. sure, IM is THE event that nearly every triathlete wants to tick, but there are a very large number of GB AG athletes out there competing in shorter distance events - I see a lot of these at events I'm a TO at.

Rotterdam this weekend coming (the World Grand Final) will have something like over 300 Brits competing - EJC will probably know the exact numbers.

at race registration for these events there are a lot who have BTF race licences - the day licences are usually the beginners.

as far as Les McDonald is concerned - sure a lot of Brits won't know of him or what he achieved in developing the sport and the ITU. Equally I'm not sure many BTF members could name the BTF Chief Exec either (either current or incoming!) but that's because these roles are often transparent to athletes and these people go about their work often unsung and unrecognised but are doing a lot for the sport.

I'm sure the same goes for IM - name the Chief Exec/owners without an internet search!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lack of interest by members reflects in the changes which take place...and the costs...

not sure how many at Rotters, but i do know how many are trying to get to both glasgow and Tartu...and how few were at Zof...

The sport certainly progressed as as result of Mcd's input, but it wasn't without some casualties and tears along the way...

stenard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Rotterdam this weekend coming (the World Grand Final) will have something like over 300 Brits competing - EJC will probably know the exact numbers.

734 apparently, across Sprint and Standard.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

734 apparently, across Sprint and Standard.

that's a healthy turnout...

Tony Stark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
This really is a sign of the times....he was such a controversial figure in the sport that I am surprised at the lack of chatter...

Wasn't really a big fan as he took something that wasn't his and turned tri away from being primarily an ultra-endurance race to an unwatchable draft-fest in order to gain quicker access to the Olympics. On the plus side, he did the best he could to make Brett Sutton's life miserable, along with the athletes who turned to him, and it is a shame he did not get more cooperation from the national governing bodies in doing this.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Wasn't really a big fan as he took something that wasn't his and turned tri away from being primarily an ultra-endurance race to an unwatchable draft-fest in order to gain quicker access to the Olympics. On the plus side, he did the best he could to make Brett Sutton's life miserable, along with the athletes who turned to him, and it is a shame he did not get more cooperation from the national governing bodies in doing this.

yep, i knew someone would eventually talk BS Smile

some of the bigger fall out was potential bans for all of us who raced non sanctioned events...

I too had issue in that he (and others) somehow were allowed to 'own' the sport....that said, on the whole, they did a pretty good job...

fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
the lack of interest by members reflects in the changes which take place...and the costs...

not sure how many at Rotters, but i do know how many are trying to get to both glasgow and Tartu...and how few were at Zof...

The sport certainly progressed as as result of Mcd's input, but it wasn't without some casualties and tears along the way...

I think that's similar with many world governing bodies - the head honcho will always want to stamp their influence on the sport, which pisses others off. think UCI, FIFA, F1 etc - they've all had fairly autocratic heads over the years who have done damage to the sport rather than develop it.

in many ways the ITU have been more progressive and with them and WTC talking to each other more now on areas of common ground, then multisport is still advancing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: