Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
best cheap rowing machine?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found a second hand Kettler Axom (RRP 480) for 150 and have found it excellent. Not flimsy at all, very stable and I really enjoy it.

back in the day when Mrs FB was rowing (25+ years ago - sheesh - where have the years gone?) we had a Giro (not the cycle brand) rowing machine at home - in concept (groan... Rolling Eyes ). it was similar to the Keppler using a magnetic system for resistance rather than air. it worked well but against a C2 it felt a little easier to pull but you still got a good workout on it. I don't know when Giro went out of business but maybe the Keppler is the modern version of it.

we have a C2 now - quite an old one I bought off a friend at a VERY good price as it was rusting away in his damp summerhouse. a bit of TLC and it's as right as rain.

there's a 2017 review here of various brands - the Keppler's not mentioned but an equivalent from JLL is - http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/fitness-equipment/1405575/best-rowing-machines-the-best-rowing-machines-from-200-1
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Quote:
I found a second hand Kettler Axom (RRP 480) for 150 and have found it excellent. Not flimsy at all, very stable and I really enjoy it.

back in the day when Mrs FB was rowing (25+ years ago - sheesh - where have the years gone?) we had a Giro (not the cycle brand) rowing machine at home - in concept (groan... Rolling Eyes ). it was similar to the Keppler using a magnetic system for resistance rather than air. it worked well but against a C2 it felt a little easier to pull but you still got a good workout on it. I don't know when Giro went out of business but maybe the Keppler is the modern version of it.

we have a C2 now - quite an old one I bought off a friend at a VERY good price as it was rusting away in his damp summerhouse. a bit of TLC and it's as right as rain.

there's a 2017 review here of various brands - the Keppler's not mentioned but an equivalent from JLL is - http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/fitness-equipment/1405575/best-rowing-machines-the-best-rowing-machines-from-200-1

Do you mean the JTX? At 164 new for the JLL I'd expect fairly sh!te manufacturing but the JTX at 495 would be comparable. My point was that there's a lot of savings on non-Concept2 rowers in the second hand market. Concept2 seems to hold value, likely for good reason, but less savings to be made in my situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: