Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Smart trainer help..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mw22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Smart trainer help.. Reply with quote

For the past few years I've had a "dumb" cyclops fluid 2 trainer and happily watched my sufferfest vids on the TV. Now theyve stopped selling new vids and gone app only and the wife has stole the fluid 2 - thought I'd upgrade to a smart trainer to take advantage of new features..
I had previously tried using virtual power off the fluid 2 with TR but it read power ridiculously high making the whole thing pointless

I dont know if I'm looking into it too much but I'm not confused as he11...

Kit I have;
Garmin 520
Garmin cadence Sensor
Garmin HR monitor
Garmin speed sensor (albeit wife has that on the fluid 2 - do I need another?)
Windows 10 laptop
Android phones (but aware sufferfest dont support)
iPhone 5
Sunnto Ant+ dongle for laptop
Samsung smart tv

Now my ideal solution would be to have an app on a phone cast to the TV...
but seeing as sufferfest dont like android, and the iphone wont cast to a normal smart tv.
I don't particularly want to use the laptop as I cant put it anywhere near the turbo.... i could HDMI it to the TV but then have no access to controls (tho do these smart trainers pause when/if you stop pedalling?)

Does the iphone need additional dongles? Or does that depend on the model of turbo if it has BT and Ant+?

Based on DC rainmaker I was looking at a Elite Rampa? As I have no other power meter to calibrate tho... other reviews suggests this reads way off - I dont mind it a bit out as it will be its own baseline - but I don't want something like before that reads so bad I cant use it

So,
What turbo should i get (Sound isnt an issue, so not sure i need to go direct drive and Im not that powerful I suffer from major slippage).
What other kit do I need to let me "enjoy" sufferfest?

Thanks
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't zwift, but Otter uses laptop with HDMI to big screen, ANT+ dongle, ANT+ speed sensor and Kurt Kinetic road machine trainer. She then controls zwift from the bike with android zwift app phone remote control, I'm sure iPhone zwift app would do that too.

She also uses a raspberry pi to adjust the watts to something that works with zwift, but the (as zwift has a minimum weight of ~45kg's so actual watts don't help if you weigh 17kg) The power curve on the KK's seem extremely stable and accurate, when compared to our power meters, but of course isn't smart and doesn't adjust as you go uphill etc.

But if you go with laptop, then the only thing you need to buy is the turbo.
mw22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffer fest don't seem to support the KK....

I know zwift is popular at moment, I just don't quite get it. I'll try it I'm sure, but really want a solution that works with SF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: