Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Full Triathlon X 2018

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doddydodd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Full Triathlon X 2018 Reply with quote

Iv'e just gone and entered into Triathlon x next year.

Anyone care to share their experiences with me as to whether i am mad or not.

main question i have as i know it will be hilly and i'm told very steep, has anyone done it on a TT bike and what was it like?

My road bike is OK but not great and i have done The brutal half and Alpe d'huez long course on my TT bike but the only real steep inclines were the 21 bends themselves the rest was tough but i got through it.

Thank you for any feedback at all.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for my 4th time.

As for the bike, it's not the climbing that's the problem on a TT bike, it's the descents. Steep as feck on bad, lumpy tarmac. The switchbacks on Hardknott and Wrynose are actually better than Honister West since at least you can curve into the uphill side if it goes pearshaped. On Honister it'd be a nasty crash due to straight line and walled in.

The TT sections are down to and along Ullswater, the A66 in to Keswick, and along the A595 on the west coast. The rest is far better on a road bike.

I can do a more detailed writeup (from the back end of the field) if you want.

But no, nothing mad about it. It's a superb race / day out. Smile
doddydodd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

I Take it you have done it on both a TT and road bike then? if its your 4th time.

Nothing like a scary bumpy decent on the aero bars..Laughing

and if its wet also with carbon wheels i can imagine it gets a bit nasty.

any more detail is more than appreciated.

any recommendations of places to stay? bringing the wife of course and maybe kids.

Thanks again.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never taken the TT, no point in doing so for me (complete, not compete). And having kids to get back home to has been another reason. If you haven't been around the course I'd really advise to do a reccie, it'll be your choice after that. Just bear in mind we've been lucky so far but a rainy day and/or a couple of days of rain beforehand will change the road conditions quite a bit (gravel and/or wet).

As for accommodation the YHA is by far cheapest and easiest. They have family rooms at about 150/night which sleeps 4(/5) in 2 bunk beds. It's 2 mins from transition.

Alternatively look at AirBNB for a place. There are others but I've found AirBNB works best for Ambleside. Be aware that anything east of the main road through the town is steep hills and not buggy or old people friendly (25% gradients). Stay low.
Andy916

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doddydodd, as Christian says, get up there for a recce of the bike (and run) course. Take a road bike with alloy rims (or disk brakes), with 34-32 lowest gearing. The 32 rear is better than the 28 I previously used (for a 7:40 split, good enough for 1st M50 in 2015 and 'gold' category at the Fred Whitton).

AdH, and Helvellyn also, are TT bike courses because they don't have the extreme descents and they have good opportunity to use aero position. TriX is very different.

I trained for TriX down here in north Essex / Suffolk / Herts but took my bike on any weekend trip anywhere hilly whenever possible.

It's a great race and you've plenty of time to train for it. The big difference to Alpine races is double the max gradient but for much shorter distances, with much of the remainder of the course being merely lumpy like IM UK or Wales.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doddydodd wrote:
Nothing like a scary bumpy decent on the aero bars..Laughing

Just read that again. If you take Honister West on the aero bars and survive I'll buy the after party beers. Smile Hardknott and Wrynose are probably easier to survive (literally) since you'll get thrown off in the first hairpin.

But Honister is rather straight in comparison. What speed do people think - theoretically - you could get up to down that? 120kph? Before you hit the rocks of course.

I have seen people on TT bikes every year and not passed any major crashes yet (touch wood!) so it is doable. But, as Andy says, just make sure you bring some proper brakes.
Andy916

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Hardknott and Wrynose are probably easier to survive (literally) since you'll get thrown off in the first hairpin

Arr, my one near miss in the last couple of years of racing those roads was descending Wrynose east. Once past the initial steep hairpin I let the speed build to around 40mph as the road opens out. Unfortunately it becomes very bumpy and narrow, and my Propel threw an almighty wobble at that point. Instinctively from when I raced (motor)bikes I tried to relax and let it do its thing. Sure enough the wobble subsided and I kept it on the tarmac. Last Sunday on the half, steadily ascending that section, I could see how much the boulder-strewn moorland drops away from the lumpy road; coming off there at speed would be a big one for sure.
doddydodd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like I'll be buying myself a new road bike for 2018.. Smile

Thanks for all the advice guys. really appreciated.

I'm in North Essex too. really not much Hill training here, but I'll make do.

will defo try to get up there for a reece ride and run.

Thanks again for the comments.
doddydodd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy916 wrote:
Take a road bike with alloy rims (or disk brakes), .

not my deep section Planet x wheels then.. Laughing

I have found a nice little cottage for the family just round the corner to the YHA so nice and near transition.

will look into getting a 32 on the back.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Last edited by doddydodd on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 is probably max unless you have a long cage. And, despite it being described as "not compatible", I can say that a short cage Ultegra Di2 can take 32 as well. Smile

I used to have a triple and run 30/30 but have switched to compact with 34/32. It's about 4% difference but I can live with that since that only really kicks in on the super-steeps against max power. I can grind up 20% in the seat just fine with 34/32.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: