Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sleep Tracker & Smart Alarm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Sleep Tracker & Smart Alarm Reply with quote

I am looking at some ways to improve my sleep. Particularly as I am now training for IM its going to involve some v. early mornings. Part of the problem at the min is noise, from the wife when she comes to bed! I am going to change the light switch in the en-suite and the door handle which make a lot of noise. Also thinking of trying eye masks and ear plugs but tried those before and found them annoying.

Anyway was looking at some of the sleep trackers and smart alarms. This morning my alarm woke me at 6 when I must have been in deep sleep. It shocked me awake and I've just felt rubbish all day. Anyone used a smart alarm and found it useful? The tracking side doesn't interest me much, I know if my sleep was good or not.

Some are quite expensive so want to know they work.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wasn't doing it every day, I'd just go into the spare room as required. But that requires a spare room.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use my Garmin alarm to wake me up (Fenix 3). It vibrates nicely on the wrist, and is actually quite a pleasant way to wake. Also doesn't disturb the good lady, which earns me brownie points (not a euphemism).

That said, if your wife is waking you up when she turns in, how about one of these?

iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
If I wasn't doing it every day, I'd just go into the spare room as required. But that requires a spare room.

Tempting, but I am 6'5'' and have a super king size bed. The spare room as a double bedstead with rails so I aint fitting in that.

Perhaps I suggest to the wife she buggers off in there Smile
awildt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the "Sleep Cycle Alarm" app for a while. It's fine but it just becomes another alarm. You can choose a half hour slot to wake up in and it monitors your sleep. It's ok, but like I say, it's just an alarm.

Ultimately we're all so time crunched and tired that we don't actually have the luxury of a half hour to hour timeslot to wake up in and we just have to get up. Unless you're on genuine flexi time you'll still have to fit everything in, to be in the office by a specific time.

Try it, might be different for you.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work very flexi time so do most of my training from 5.30am-7.30am and find I have to be in bed by 10pm. I did get into using ear plugs (buy good ones) but then found myself to be too reliant on them so trained myself out of using them. Definitely find that going to bed by 10am significantly improves my performance and mood the next day when teh alarm goes off at 5!
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're training for an Ironman properly, you'll have no problem falling and staying asleep. Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RookieSam wrote:
I work very flexi time so do most of my training from 5.30am-7.30am and find I have to be in bed by 10pm. I did get into using ear plugs (buy good ones) but then found myself to be too reliant on them so trained myself out of using them. Definitely find that going to bed by 10am significantly improves my performance and mood the next day when teh alarm goes off at 5!

Last 2 nights I have gone up about 9:30m read a book for a bit then layed down at 10:00. Yesterday I woke easily on my alarm at 5:15 and had a great swim.

This morning the same but on my run I started to fell really ill. Dizzy. Walked home. Possibly a fuel issue as I am race weight chasing but I felt really tired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: